Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Upsetting the WIZARD applecart,... maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Jim,
I trim away the parts of a post that I'm not discussing. It makes it easier to follow my argument, and shortens what people have to read.

I think your system would work (the game could be written to make such a system work, I am sure). It would tend to result in dump stats. ST in particular would not be bought much if wizards powered spells with fatigue IQ (fIQ) rather than fatigue ST (fST).

For that reason I would not use it in my campaign.

However, I think it would be interesting if different flavours of magic used different types of fatigue to power them. For example, let us say that divinations, clairvoyance, clairaudience, Reveal / Conceal, and other information spells were all powered by fIQ. Normal spells use fST. A spell that attacked someone spying on you might use BOTH fST and fIQ!

So one wizard (with a very high IQ) would be tempted to learn more and more information and spying spells, where as a low IQ but high ST wizard would be tempted by Summon 1 hex Spider and Fire spells.

This would make a cool dynamic, I think.

Warm regards, Rick.
"For example, let us say that divinations, clairvoyance, clairaudience, Reveal / Conceal, and other information spells were all powered by fIQ. Normal spells use fST. A spell that attacked someone spying on you might use BOTH fST and fIQ!"

Yes, yes, yes! THIS, in my opinion is the more accurate reflection and the more correct direction as well. I still feel that having a wizard roll vs IQ to cast, and roll vs DX to throw is correct. And adding our perspectives together, I think it is even better!

Well stated and well done, Rick!

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-21-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote