Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Pvt. Parts

Default Almost no monster movements

Hi there, I am new to the game and this forum and I'd like to get some advice on the movements of the monsters.

We played the "normal" Munchkin games many times over the years and normally we held on to the cards that harm a player during the combat or boost a monster during a combat as long as possible in order to to play them when the first players try to reach level 10.

So, playing Munchkin Quest for the first time, we did the same and waited for the first player to reach the Boss fight to play those mentioned cards. This resulted in very few monsters on the board. At the beginning we had two monsters that survived and moved for a few turns but after that every monster was killed instantly(sometimes with the help of other players). The second half of the game there was no Monster movement at all just because there was no monster on the board.

Did we miss anything? Should we play it differently? Was it just bad luck (for the monsters) or are they underpowered?

Some hints or suggestions would be highly appreciated. So, thanks in advance ,and to clarify, we still had a lot of fun.

Sorry, if this question was already answered and sorry for my "German" English. :)
Pvt. Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Almost no monster movements

I would have had no idea English wasn't native to you if you hadn't pointed it out.

I've only played a few games of Quest and never with more than 2 people, but I've found that the games are actually harder than regular Munchkin. We've always had someone die at least once. You may have just had one of those games where things go differently, or maybe mine are different because there's only 2 people.

You are playing where people can only help if they are in the same room or a room next to the one where combat is right? Because that makes it much harder to win combats with fewer chances for help.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Pvt. Parts

Thanks, and first of all, I'm flattered. :)

Yes, we followed the rule you mentioned (Help only from nearby players), yet it just didn't work out for the monsters. So, I just assume the game tried to give us an easy introduction game, that's what good GMs are supposed to do, aren't they?

FYI: We played with three players.
Pvt. Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Clipper

If you get some good Items on your initial draw (or some lucky Searches) and you are generously helping each other out, this seems very plausible. In most of my games, I've had rather cutthroat groups, which resulted in a lot of high-Level monsters wandering around as we all went our own ways through the Dungeon and weren't interested in helping others so much.