Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
RobW

Default Re: Demo of how to GM TFT on roll20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
More robust roll20 character sheet. Kudos to the people who put the existing one together. I think it could use a few more tweaks, though.
Where is this found, please?
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I use images of colored single megahexes and single hexes. I upload a copy of each image and locate in a terrain folder. When preparing maps, I start with a megahex image, drag it to the grid, and then resize so that it fits when "snap"'ed to the grid. From then on, copy and paste, paste, paste. The megahexes snap in place, and it's very quick and very satisfying.

Here is a link to frequently-used hex and megahex images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wxtbxcxc2...-zJIdP5pa?dl=0

Here's examples of how it looks in practice:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i37dbp9j72...0end2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty7q4c4dwi...44.18.png?dl=0
Thanks phiwum! I've shamelessly requoted my own post to keep the links visible a little longer. :)

One thing to add, I've tried placing the megahexes as the party encounters them, exactly analogous to laying out megahex tiles in a f2f game, and compatible with the generative approach on the box lid. It is quick enough to work OK, although I enjoy making the maps in advance.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Oneiros

Quote:
Where is this found, please?
When you create a new game on roll20, there's an option to select a character sheet from a dropdown. Just start typing in "The Fantasy Trip" and you'll find it.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
hcobb

I like to keep the tactical map compact so that the players don't have to zoom in and scroll around. Then flip back to the revealed operational map as they move to the next area.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
phiwum

Quote:
Thanks phiwum! I've shamelessly requoted my own post to keep the links visible a little longer. :)

One thing to add, I've tried placing the megahexes as the party encounters them, exactly analogous to laying out megahex tiles in a f2f game, and compatible with the generative approach on the box lid. It is quick enough to work OK, although I enjoy making the maps in advance.
I make maps in advance and use the reveal fog of war tool. It works okay, but because we're using hexes, I draw a lot of awkward polygons.

I use overlays to reveal secret areas. Upload two maps: one with the normal areas and the other a png (so it has transparency) with secret areas. Place the normal map above the secret area map until the secret is discovered. At that point, raise the secret area map to the top.

This may not work too well on Roll20 if you have multiple secrets. The problem will be that the controls allow you to move a layer to the front or back, not to arbitrarily stack them.

I do think your idea of moving hexes onto the grid is quite good. Are these hexes on the map level? Megahexes too?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #16
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I make maps in advance and use the reveal fog of war tool. It works okay, but because we're using hexes, I draw a lot of awkward polygons.

I use overlays to reveal secret areas. Upload two maps: one with the normal areas and the other a png (so it has transparency) with secret areas. Place the normal map above the secret area map until the secret is discovered. At that point, raise the secret area map to the top.

This may not work too well on Roll20 if you have multiple secrets. The problem will be that the controls allow you to move a layer to the front or back, not to arbitrarily stack them.
That's a good idea. And I think in combination with RobW's individual megahex files, you could place mutiple ones on the GM's layer for "secrets" and then move them individually to the Map layer as they get revealed

Last edited by Oneiros; 10-21-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #17
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
That's a good idea. And I think in combination with RobW's individual megahex files, you could place mutiple ones on the GM's layer for "secrets" and then move them individually to the Map layer as they get revealed
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I place a map on the map level, I always have to resize it to get it to fit the existing hexes. This is fiddly. Obviously, I could do the resizing on a practice run and note the dimensions.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Seems like it should be the case that one can upload an image that's already the right dimensions and place it, but instead roll20 always makes my map images quite small and I manually resize.

This experience is why I asked how he places the megahexes or hexes on the map layer. I am assuming that they're already sized correctly. Hopefully, I can learn something.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
This experience is why I asked how he places the megahexes or hexes on the map layer. I am assuming that they're already sized correctly. Hopefully, I can learn something.
I can tell you what I do if it's helpful? When I place a megahex or other image on the map (or GM) layer, roll20 basically ignore the size of the image and scales it to fit within a hex. In some of the example images above, you can see plain hexagons of different colours. They have been scaled by roll20 to fit within a hex (as opposed to fill it).

Roll20 does allow a easy snap-to-grid scaling, which can be used to adjust image size. But this does not help when I'm laying out megahexes , because the megahexes need to fill their megahex, not simply fit within them. Hope that makes sense so far.

So the first thing I do when making a map is drag a single megahex image onto the map, and carefully resize it so that it fills the megahex. This is usually my base white megahex with a boundary. I've got a little bit of technique for this resizing now, once I realised that what I'm really doing is adjust the sides of a square image! I can explain further if useful.

Anyway, once I have the single, properly scaled megahex, it's a copy and paste paste paste operation. Sometimes but not usually the paste puts the megahex just where it should be. But with snap-to-grid on, it is easy to arrange the megahexes. I arrange as I go rather than paste ten times and then arrange 10 megahexes.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #19
hcobb

It looks like we need a demo video of using the Megahex pack on roll20.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #20
RobW

good idea -- I'll try to do a screen recording tonight