Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Stormcrow

Default Spell categories by Magery

I haven't used magic a lot in GURPS, but once in a while I find myself wondering about the capabilities of wizards by Magery level. It seems like there are several broad categories that emerge.

For instance, the entire field of magic-item-creation (except the Scroll spell) seems to be dependent on Magery 2. So you've got to have Magery 2 to be an enchanter.

I haven't looked at every possibility, but it seems that the traditional offensive spells like Lightning and Fireball require Magery 1. It seems to me like Magery 1 is the threshold for using magic offensively.

Are there any other broad categories that emerge from spell prerequisites, either minimums you need to be in a category or maximums that limit you to a category?

(Not interested in talking about anything but the standard spell system, thanks.)
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Spell categories by Magery

Being a generalist requires Magery 3 or more, simply as the most cost-effective way to get a high skill in each spell for the minimum 1 character point investment.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Stormcrow

"Generalist" just means having access to everything. I'm not looking for character-building strategies, just the sorts of broad descriptive categories enabled at various levels.

For instance, besides simply access to everything, is there a particular theme of magic-use that becomes possible at Magery 3?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Tyneras

A really quick glance through my Spell Charts PDF gives a theme of shape shifting. Either oneself, like Body of Air or Great Shapeshift, or other things, like Move Terrain or Enlarge Object.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
Stormcrow

Thanks, Tyneras, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Refplace

Yeah, M2 is really key to a lot of builds, higher levels help you either as a generalist or just better at your specialty. While level 1 is good enough for utility or most combat builds.
What I found more interesting was college or goal themes.
Many focus on fire for combat, I think Air is often a better choice.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Ejidoth

At a glance, it looks like Magery 3 is necessary for some advanced shapeshifting stuff, most of the temporal manipulation stuff, and most (all?) of the ways to achieve pseudo-immortality. Other than that, it's just a collection of random-looking high powered spells.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
At a glance, it looks like Magery 3 is necessary for some advanced shapeshifting stuff, most of the temporal manipulation stuff, and most (all?) of the ways to achieve pseudo-immortality. Other than that, it's just a collection of random-looking high powered spells.
And weirdly enough Spit Acid in the Water College. Nothing about that spells feels Magery 3 worthy.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, M2 is really key to a lot of builds, higher levels help you either as a generalist or just better at your specialty. While level 1 is good enough for utility or most combat builds.
What I found more interesting was college or goal themes.
Many focus on fire for combat, I think Air is often a better choice.
One of the things I did for the GURPSwiki was to see what you could do with just Magery 0. Surprisingly a decent amount. Of course spell based enchantment is out (but alchemic charms can be an option for such mages(
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
And weirdly enough Spit Acid in the Water College. Nothing about that spells feels Magery 3 worthy.
I think it's indirectly a result of Acid Jet being Magery 2. Most of the breathe/spit spells are +1 Magery beyond their Jet equivalent.

That is, the way to build one of those spells seems to be to take the jet and bump the damage up a bit higher, increase the casting time, have (Substance) Jet and Resist (Substance) as prerequisites, and increase the Magery prereq. by 1.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, spells