Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default Slam him into a wall

If I am a 14 ST fighter with a large shield (DB 3) and a move of 6, I should be able to slam into a foe for Th-2, +3, +3, (+2 if I want to spend the fatigue for extra damage), so a total of 1d+6.

What if there is a wall in the hex directly behind the foe? Should I deal more damage?

What if my foe is a goblin (SM-1) and I am an SM 0 character (or an SM+1 barbarian). Would I deal more damage for this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Colarmel

Default Re: Slam him into a wall

1) Your question seems to assume some house rules or GURPS rules. There is not, to my knowledge any such thing in DFRPG as burning fatigue for more damage. There is also not any way for a PC to be SM+1

2) As for extra damage from the wall, this would use the knockback rules, so check the box on Exploits P. 53

3) SM makes no difference in slam damage, but it does potentially allow options like Trample and Overrun. See Exploits P. 40
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Jeminai

Sorry, I'm still reading through DFRPG and have been a GURPS and GURPS DF player for many years.

I am just realizing that the option to use FP to help with damage an defense is not in DFRPG.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Colarmel

No worries. My DFRPG game went to much broader GURPS DF as soon as we finished ISaR, I missed the options. But I've been in Zuljita's Ultra-Rules-lawyery DoA games which have me really well set on the DFRPG differences. Most of which I really like.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
I am just realizing that the option to use FP to help with damage an defense is not in DFRPG.
There is, but you have to do it the hard way.

Will check to raise ST for damage, 5% times MoS.

For Slamming someone into a wall, well... there really isn't anything in the rules for this. However, If I were feeling generous I'd apply additional damage after the Slam equal to the bonus for using a Large Shield.

For Trampling you want the paragraph labeled Trampling on pg 40 of Exploits (yes you do a bit more damage).

Last edited by evileeyore; 02-12-2018 at 11:06 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
No worries. My DFRPG game went to much broader GURPS DF as soon as we finished ISaR, I missed the options. But I've been in Zuljita's Ultra-Rules-lawyery DoA games which have me really well set on the DFRPG differences. Most of which I really like.
Can you give some examples of the ones you truly prefer? For instance, I really do like the slam rules in DFRPG better.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Mister Negative

Also, while there is no extra damage for having a higher SM than your victim in a slam, there is the general assumption in DFPRG that, all things being equal, smaller targets have less hit points.

So, effectively, the damage you do to a SM-1 target is probably going to be a larger percentage of their total HP than it would be for a SM 0 foe, anyway.

Unless you are slamming a animated fireplug or an earth elemental, or something, in which case, you get what you deserve.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Can you give some examples of the ones you truly prefer? For instance, I really do like the slam rules in DFRPG better.
This sounds to me like a question more appropriate to the GURPS forum. In here it’d be like dangling stuff they can’t have in front of DFRPG players.