Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 04-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Anders

Default Necromancing thread

I have the feeling that I have seen more necromanced threads recently than I usually do. What are the rules about this? I know I find it intensely irritating, but what do the rules say? When is it appropriate to to necro a thread? I couldn't find anything in The Rules, so can we get a clarification?

Last edited by Anders; 05-01-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Necromancing thread

NOT AN OFFICIAL ANSWER, BUT:
If you're posting to an old thread you need to be adding something *NEW* to the main discussion in that thread (and not one of the side-tracks, and not rehashing what's already been said, and definitely not just posting a "me too" or "no way").

...but then, that should be a general rule for posting to any thread.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

In the Munchkin forums, we have established an official rule about this: no necro-ing threads where the last post was more than three years ago. Largely, this was because we had a couple of posters who were calling up REALLY old rulings and asking if they were still in force, and those rulings were on cards or rules that had had the wording changed, often significantly. We got tired of explaining that over and over.

In the rest of the site, Eric's guidelines are pretty good ones. We strongly frown on "me too" or "+1" posts anyway, since they're entirely noise, no signal, and you can extend that to dredging up old discussions just to say "This makes sense to me" or something equally content-averse.

One explicit exception: if a thread got heated and you post to it in order to revive an old argument, even if you weren't part of that argument initially, it's likely we will close the thread and probably give you an infraction to boot. There is no reason whatsoever to relight old, dead flamewars.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 AM   #4
Anders

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the answer.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
RyanW

Like Eric's, this is not an official answer, but one guideline I set for myself is this:

Unless the new comment I'm adding would require reading several posts just for context, I would start a new thread (and quote or link to the relevant bits of the old one) over raising the dead.

Tags
rules, thread necromancy