Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Highland_Piper

Default DYI Pyramid Hardcover Books

I know you can use print on demand place but I wanted to try to make a book by hand. So I made a book of the first 5 Pyramid issues. I added a table of contents and I removed all but one of the "About GURPS" pages as it was redundant to have five of them. The end results of my first try are mixed, the binding is brilliant and very solid. I made a mess of the cover but I'm sure I will do better with the second book (Issues 6-10).

Here are the links to my process

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It didn't turn out perfect but it was my first try. It is however perfectly serviceable.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
bert

Default Re: DYI Pyramid Hardcover Books

Nice work! I laughed hard at the DYEL joke... :)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

That looks realy good (even accounted for the cover art error)!

And stop being modest, your writing style and layout style was great for this type of blog post! Easy to read, short but informative, and you cover everything.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Highland_Piper

Thanks guys,

I just ordered enough paper to make around ten more books. So that is up to Pyramid issue 55
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Bruno

I think the biggest take-home lesson from your cover is to wait for the long strip paper to arrive :)

Very cool looking.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think the biggest take-home lesson from your cover is to wait for the long strip paper to arrive :)

Very cool looking.
Very true, it still won't be able to wrap around the cover as it will still be the width of the book itself. I'd still have to print a 2nd section to wrap around the covers. I could always do cloth bound but I don't have the tools yet to stamp into cloth or leather.

I could always use white cloth and get inkjet iron-on transfers..hmmm time to spend more money.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

I did notice one error you might have missed...

"DYI" should probably "DIY". ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Bruno

If later, once you are more satisfied with your hard-cover-making skills, you wanted to go back and recover this one, how hard is it?

I have a suspicion, looking at your work, that my local library was turning softcover books that were expected to see a lot of wear into hardcovers via something like this. But libraries have the problem of ongoing repairs too, which lead to the question of replacing an existing hardcover.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If later, once you are more satisfied with your hard-cover-making skills, you wanted to go back and recover this one, how hard is it?

I have a suspicion, looking at your work, that my local library was turning softcover books that were expected to see a lot of wear into hardcovers via something like this. But libraries have the problem of ongoing repairs too, which lead to the question of replacing an existing hardcover.
It is dead simple. Using a very sharp knife I just cut the cover off, then very carefully take the spine off. Then I'm just left with the bound pages. It was my first attempt I'm sure the next one will look much better.

My book press arrived as well as the plotter paper. Unfortunately I'm working so much overtime it may be awhile before I get to the next one. I want to show how to make a single Pyramid Magazine next as it is quick and easy if you have an A3 printer. Then I want to try a soft cover. I still need a bookbinding sewing rack if I'm to do a proper stitched book but they tend to be expensive, so I might rig my own.

I'm also in the planning stages of an A5 Character Notebook where the character sheet will be laminated and sewn in so you can make changes to it then use the rest of the pages to make notes, or make the first section about 6 character sheets when the previous ones where out from erasing and notes. Keep the first ones as a record or tear them out as I'd perforate the edges of them.

I go through phases where my creativity has to be done in a physical matter rather than digital like writing adventures or making maps.

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 07-19-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Tags
gurps, hardcopy, pyramid