Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
techie242000

Default Base Cost definition for Sorcery spells

In order for a Sorcerer to be able to learn a spell it must be a base cost less than the amount of points in ones empowerment.

The question is as follows, what is the true definition of base cost which is used for comparison purposes? As an example, if haste were to cost 20 points (just an example as I haven't actually set this up yet), given that the default for sorcerer spells is that it lasts 3 minutes, if I wanted to extend the duration and placed a modifier on it (i.e. X% for increased time), does the "base cost" of 20 now increase based on that modifier?

We have various spells built and I am trying to determine whether we should allow modifiers for distance, duration, etc. or whether that would in turn increase the base cost and become too many points in comparison to the empowerment level or whether those modifiers don't change the "base cost".
techie242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Base Cost definition for Sorcery spells

Thaumatology: Sorcery says, on p.5:

Quote:
The full cost of the spell cannot exceed the cost of the caster’s Sorcerous Empowerment.
That's its full cost with all modifiers applied. The term "base cost" only shows up in that PDF on p.11, when you're dealing with enhancing an attack using Imbuements. And there it's quite clear that the full cost after modifiers is what matters.

If you can tell us where you ran into the "base cost" idea, we can probably sort it out.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
techie242000

Pyramid 3/63 p.4 under known spells it notes the comparison using "base cost".
techie242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

OK, I see it. That's comparing the "basic cost", of buying the spell as a standalone power, with the "actual cost", which is 1/5 of that. The easy way to explain it is with an example.

Say you have Sorcerous Empowerment 3, which costs [45]. Let's look at what spells from p.6 you could buy:
  • You can buy 2 levels of Cold, which has a basic cost of [32].
  • You could buy 5 levels of Create Fire, basic cost [40].
  • You cannot buy Deflect Energy, because it costs [49].
  • You can buy 5 levels of Explosive Fireball [45].
  • You can buy 2 levels of Extinguish Fire [30].

Now you spend another 9 points on Sorcerous Empowerment, taking you up to level 4, which costs [54]. Now:
  • You can buy Cold up to level 3, which has a basic cost of [48].
  • You can buy Create Fire up to level 6, basic cost [48].
  • You can now buy Deflect Energy [49].
  • You can buy Explosive Fireball up to level 6 [54].
  • You can buy Extinguish Fire up to level 3[45].

So, for your Haste example, you can buy version of it that, with all their modifiers, fit within your Sorcerous Empowerment. As you buy up Sorcerous Empowerment, you can improve the Haste.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery