Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
The Fox
Not-So-Secret Master /.\

Default Spaceships 6: We Will Rock You

Nope. I'm not releasing a new PDF this week. It's too much work.

Weeeeeeeell... Okay, since you asked nicely, here's GURPS Spaceships 6: Mining and Industrial Spacecraft. It's got spaceships an' asteroids an' stuff! Cool, huh?

Last edited by The Fox; 11-12-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Typos, what typos?
The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Spaceships 6: We Will Rock You

Seen it, bought it, updated my GURPS 2009 release speculation thread - very cool.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Pg. 8, under Solar Panel Satellite: transmitterss

Pg. 9, under Space Factory: providign

Still browsing.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Pg. 8, under Solar Panel Satellite: transmitterss

Pg. 9, under Space Factory: providign

Still browsing.
I believe errata should go to the errata coordinator...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Langy

I'm kind of disappointed in this one, even though it was the one I was most looking forward to. For one thing, it's only half the size of the other entries in the Spaceships series.

It's also completely missing any mention of how to go from mining raw asteroids -> building actual ships, something I was really hoping for. Fabricators require some amount of parts, but nothing's ever mentioned on how to go about getting those parts made. I suppose you could go Raw Materials->Parts->Finished Ship, but then you're hung up on how much the raw materials are worth and if they're the right type.

I'll probably just say to assume you need twice as much raw ore as your ship's loaded mass and that it takes 2/5 as many days to fabricate parts as it would take to build your ship to turn that raw ore into the parts your fabricator needs, basically assuming the parts are all SM+2 or more.

Also: There appears to be an error in the PDF. On page 5, production times for spaceships are said to be able to be sped up in two different places, but they give different costs to reduce the time by the same amount. The first paragraph says paying twice as much reduces time to 2/3, while the second paragraph says paying three times as much reduces time to 2/3.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

The SPS (p8) gets a special place in my heart as a disappointment for labeling the power beams in joules instead of something actually meaningful...

But it also seems to have a genuine bug. It has a spinal power beam which can only be pointed forward, and a rear-mounted power beam that can't. There's no way for it to point all its beams at the ground station.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Langy

It clearly states that the beams are just 'representing' the actual power beam. It doesn't actually have one spinal mount laser and three major mount lasers - it has one big power beam array that masses 30% of the entire station.

Also: If you want to convert those joules to watts, just divide by twenty. It fires that many joules every twenty seconds by default, so divide by twenty and pow! you've got x joules/second, also known as watts.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The SPS (p8) gets a special place in my heart as a disappointment for labeling the power beams in joules instead of something actually meaningful...

But it also seems to have a genuine bug. It has a spinal power beam which can only be pointed forward, and a rear-mounted power beam that can't. There's no way for it to point all its beams at the ground station.
It's an abstraction -- another option (trading one "error" for another) would have been to represent it as two spinal batteries. Again, that's not legal for actual weapons, but that's not what this is -- it's just a big ol' power beam with no actual offensive capability.

(David could have written up a new, 6-system monstrosity for this one satellite, but that would've really been overkill. Especially considering that it's mainly just a bullet-point on the description of what this thing does.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Lanfranc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'm kind of disappointed in this one, even though it was the one I was most looking forward to. For one thing, it's only half the size of the other entries in the Spaceships series.
Yeah, $8 is really too much for what you're getting here. I ended up buying it anyway, and it turned out to be barely worth it, but I don't think I'll get the remaining two if they're similarly priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
It's also completely missing any mention of how to go from mining raw asteroids -> building actual ships, something I was really hoping for. Fabricators require some amount of parts, but nothing's ever mentioned on how to go about getting those parts made. I suppose you could go Raw Materials->Parts->Finished Ship, but then you're hung up on how much the raw materials are worth and if they're the right type.
Indeed, seems sort of a strange omission that a product about "mining and industrial ships" has three pages of rules on the latter (which were quite useful, BTW), but none on the former.
Lanfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfranc View Post
Yeah, $8 is really too much for what you're getting here. I ended up buying it anyway, and it turned out to be barely worth it, but I don't think I'll get the remaining two if they're similarly priced.
So far, they're shaping up to be considerably longer than Spaceships 6 was -- this one just happened to end up as the "runt of the litter".

Quote:
Indeed, seems sort of a strange omission that a product about "mining and industrial ships" has three pages of rules on the latter (which were quite useful, BTW), but none on the former.
Actually, there are detailed rules for gas giant mining on p. 21 and general information about asteroid mining on p. 16. There's also rules for space debris removal on p. 12 -- all useful stuff which might be overlooked if you only skim the beginning for rules.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships