Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #31
tshiggins

Default Re: The economics of Faerun's Inner Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley

(SNIP)

Most trade that is exploitable by PCs would be the luxury trade. Valuable items in small quantities (hundreds of pounds at best)

Plus by the High Middle Ages (which the Forgotten Realms is definitely in the midst of) there is plenty of Commerical paper including Promissory Notes, Bills of Lading, etc.

This give an excellent example of what goes on.

http://www.columbiagames.com/resourc...notarius.shtml

I successfully used elements of this in my GURPS Campaign particularly Promissory Notes.

(SNIP)
Small, valuable cargo and promissary notes gave my GURPS Harn PCs their first introduction into mercantile trade. It got to the point where, eventually, one of the group's mages would hit the market of every town they visited, and bought up all the notes he could afford. He figured he had a better chance of making it to the place where the note was originally written, than most regular merchants.

He was right, of course, and basically increased his earnings by 20 percent, every time he traveled from one major city to another. He was also pretty annoyed to find out that he couldn't buy promisary notes for one side of Harn while on the other. Travel between the two sides of the island was so dangerous, merchants would accept only silver or goods, not promises. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramidel
Honestly, I think Thay is better looked at, not as a quasi-Renaissance kingdom, but as a kingdom undergoing the magical equivalent of an industrial revolution.
Of course they are. Within the next few years, there is a real danger that Thay will outcompete its neighbours. If they invest their earnings wisely, Thay can become so powerful that first Thesk and then perhaps the Vast will inevitably be drawn into their economic sphere and later control.

Quote:
After all, the way the Red Wizards work, an average Wizard can spend his entire life enchanting the same kind of item for years and years, and there are a lot of that kind of one-trick-pony wizards. Thay can sell healing potions and +1 swords till the sky falls, and have enough real wizards to do custom work.
Thayvian wizards, for obvious reasons, are not an important source of healing potions. But as for common household magic (lights that won't go out, plows that replenish the soil, saddles that make training horses easier, spoons that create gruel, etc.), you're certainly right.

I've been trying to think about where the demand for magical items comes from and one thing that stands out is things that increase productivity for rich farmers or craftsmen enough to provide them with a return for their investment. Another thing is scrying or divination tools for rulers and ambitious would-be rulers. And personal defences and security items for all rich people.

Quote:
Question, Ice: What fluff are you using to replace XP costs of magic items?
That's a D&D 3.x Edition mechanic and has no place in any Realms of mine. It wasn't there in AD&D 1e, 2e with or without Player's Option, and it's no part of the Realms fluff or stories. Constitution loss was present and I plan to simulate that with a weakening of the wizard when he uses very powerful spells, whether or not that weakening is permanent.

Crafting awesomely powerful items sometimes requires the caster to invest some part of himself in the process (many artifacts or near-artifacts are items that consumed the soul of their creator), but Red Wizards that work as enchanters do not appear to suffer any negative effects that their otherwisely employed colleagues do not experience.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
AstralRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Crafting awesomely powerful items sometimes requires the caster to invest some part of himself in the process (many artifacts or near-artifacts are items that consumed the soul of their creator), but Red Wizards that work as enchanters do not appear to suffer any negative effects that their otherwisely employed colleagues do not experience.
I've always wondered why "part of himself" has to be some tangible thing instead of the more metaphoric sense that the phrase is usually used in in the real world. Engineers and artists put parts of themselves into major projects all the time, and it doesn't leave them weaker for having done so, except insofar as the extended lack of sleep such projects sometimes entail is weakening.

Hmm, actually, that could work. Maybe the weakening of mages who do huge things is really just the natural consequence of the fatigue, poor nutrition, and lack of exercise that the mages obsessive enough about power to create powerful artifacts usually have.
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #34
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRunner
I've always wondered why "part of himself" has to be some tangible thing instead of the more metaphoric sense that the phrase is usually used in in the real world. Engineers and artists put parts of themselves into major projects all the time, and it doesn't leave them weaker for having done so, except insofar as the extended lack of sleep such projects sometimes entail is weakening.

Hmm, actually, that could work. Maybe the weakening of mages who do huge things is really just the natural consequence of the fatigue, poor nutrition, and lack of exercise that the mages obsessive enough about power to create powerful artifacts usually have.
Maybe. But that still doesn't alter the fact that some magic is upredictable and dangerous.

Crafting a sword that's sharper and better balanced than other swords might not pose any risk to the mage, but crafting one that steals the lifeforce of victims and imbues the wielder with their energy might very well do so.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #35
AstralRunner

Well, there's also my other idea that I'm working on: poorly controlled magic is radioactive. The more powerful it is, the harder it is to keep its radioactivity at acceptable levels. If you're really good, you can make powerful magic items that don't glow blue when put under water. If you're not, then maybe you should stick with lesser enchantments for a while longer.
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #36
Dwarfolo

Quote:
So, how much demand is there?
According to the ICA (International Colored Gemstones Association) the whole market for colored gemstones during 2007 was about $15 billions.
35% of this amount is covered by Corundum, thus probably 2/3 are sapphires and 1/3 rubies.

Guessing some figures :-P
Given a population of 150M people in Faerun the whole colored gemstones market could be estimated in $321 M, and thus sapphires have a market of $75 M.
If sapphires are sold at $200/carat, the whole market consist of 375K carat.
How large is the Cormyrean share? Guessing again ... 5%? That would be a total of 18/19K carat to deal with.

Some notes:
- In the modern real market sapphires and rubies are used for other purposes beside jewelry (mechanical parts, scratch resistant watch crystals, lasers and optical equipment in general).
- During the last century some synthesis processes were developed, causing a meaningful reduction of the price.
- Modern market price for 1 carat of sapphire (0.2 gr) varies from $200 to $1600.
- Faceting tecniques that allow the production of gemstones under 1 carat in weight are quite recent.

Last edited by Dwarfolo; 07-21-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Dwarfolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #37
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfolo
According to the ICA (International Colored Gemstones Association) the whole market for colored gemstones during 2007 was about $15 billions.
35% of this amount is covered by Corundum, thus probably 2/3 are sapphires and 1/3 rubies.
Wow, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for, a baseline of some sort to apply modifiers to.

Quote:
Guessing some figures :-P
Ballpark is good enough for me. I'm looking for believable back of the envelope data so I can avoid making wildly inaccurate assumptions, I'm not trying to base the campaign on the sapphire trade.

Quote:
Given a population of 150M people in Faerun the whole colored gemstones market could be estimated in $321 M, and thus sapphires have a market of $75 M.
Faerun is officially supposed to have a population of 68M, but a)That doesn't include anything other than humans and near-humans and it is possible to trade with other beings, b)Cormyr can choose to trade with nations that are not traditionally considered a part of the continent of Faerun, even though they may lie close to it.

As such, I'm fine with 150M as a base number.

Quote:
If sapphires are sold at $200/carat, the whole market consist of 375K carat.
Canonically, worked sapphires in the FR have a market price of 10k/carat if they are suitably clear and without major flaws (i.e. they are suitable for magic rituals). Even most uncut stones have a market price of 1k/carat.

Quote:
How large is the Cormyrean share? Guessing again ... 5%? That would be a total of 18/19K carat to deal with.
I'd say that they possess maybe a third of the total world supply and that's the good third. But so far, they've been so careful not to reveal their deposits that they've hardly accessed them.

I'm basically positing that Cormyr hasn't sold a sapphire in more than 50 years and they now find themselves in need of at least a $1000M and preferably fast.

How much will they depress the price if they are careful to spread their sales around all the known lands? I'm pretty confident that they will depress the price, I was just wondering how dramatically.

Quote:
Some notes:
- In the modern real market sapphires and rubies are used for other purposes beside jewelry (mechanical parts, scratch resistant watch crystals, lasers and optical equipment in general).
Gems of all sorts are important parts of many magical rituals and enchantment processes in Faerun. Given that most of the economy is reliant in some form on magical effects, that means that the demand would be higher than in our world.

Gems are also used up in some rituals, artificially making them scarcer. Since the replacement price is over 10k/carat for the all-important 'magic-working quality' gems in this category (opals, the most exotic amethyst and topaz, the more common sapphires and several Realms-specific brands) and 50k/carat for the rare sapphires, rubies, emeralds and diamonds; the price has stabilised around that number.*

*Mining is cheaper than creating them or fetching them from other dimensions, making the average replacement number lower than the typical cost of magically creating them, but it might still be worth it for certain individuals who need specific gems, need them in a hurry and/or have access to much more magic than sense.

Quote:
- During the last century some synthesis processes were developed, causing a meaningful reduction of the price.
Gems can be created magically or brought from abundant sources on the Inner Planes, but so far, the cost of these methods has been over 10k/carat.

Quote:
- Modern market price for 1 carat of sapphire (0.2 gr) varies from $200 to $1600.
Uncut sapphire in the Realms would probably vary from $500 to $10k per carat, with a dramatic jump occuring when the clarity is enough for it to be used as a component for the higher magics. Cormyr has access to stones in the upper range.

Quote:
- Faceting tecniques that allow the production of gemstones under 1 carat in weight are quite recent.
I'll make them rare and restricted mostly to gnomish craftsmen.

Last edited by Icelander; 07-21-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #38
Dwarfolo

Quote:
Wow, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for, a baseline of some sort to apply modifiers to
You are welcome!!

Quote:
Faerun is officially supposed to have a population of 68M, but a)That doesn't include anything other than humans and near-humans and it is possible to trade with other beings, b)Cormyr can choose to trade with nations that are not traditionally considered a part of the continent of Faerun, even though they may lie close to it.

As such, I'm fine with 150M as a base number.
Indeed, I was basing my figures on your previous suggestions.

Quote:
Canonically, worked sapphires in the FR have a market price of 10k/carat if they are suitably clear and without major flaws (i.e. they are suitable for magic rituals). Even most uncut stones have a market price of 1k/carat.

Uncut sapphire in the Realms would probably vary from $500 to $10k per carat, with a dramatic jump occuring when the clarity is enough for it to be used as a component for the higher magics. Cormyr has access to stones in the upper range.
That's fine, and as I said the price was lowered recently by new synthesis tecniques. It's safe IMO to keep the price as canon. Moreover, it must be said that the clearer, brighter and greater gemstones are sold by auction today, and their price can easly reach some millions $.

Quote:
I'll make them rare and restricted mostly to gnomish craftsmen.
arrrggghh ... Gnomes!! We Dwergs are far more skilled and reliable than those little bastards!! ;-P
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #39
robertsconley

A new posting on http://www.lythia.com that gathers and summarizes mercantile information for Harn. Includes rules.

http://www.lythia.com/2008/07/harnmaster-mercantylism/
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #40
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley
A new posting on http://www.lythia.com that gathers and summarizes mercantile information for Harn. Includes rules.

http://www.lythia.com/2008/07/harnmaster-mercantylism/
Thanks you for that. I'll see how much of it I can use.

Tags
economics, forgotten realms