Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default Rainbow Knight Gabriel!

So I'm playing this game that is essentially a poorly-dubbed super cheesy Anime (sans Girl-Chan in Paradise), and I'm playing a character who summons weapons and armor made of light from a magical trinket. Only problem is, I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do it.

At first, I just bought a Melee, ST-Based Innate Attack with the Gadget limitations for the trinket. But that would imply I can use it instantly, reflexively, and what if I want to summon in first? I could take "Prep Required" or "Takes Extra Time" but that would require me to do it for each attack, and that doesn't fly.

A friend of mine suggested "Cosmic Payload," but considering I want the weapons/armor to be made of light, that would imply they're weightless and thus not limited by a Payload's weight constraints.

Another issue is with some of the other Advantages. To simulate the Defense Bonus of a summoned shield, I could take the "Enhanced Defenses" Meta-Trait, but a friend pointed out that there should be some benefit for not having it active 24/7.

GURPS: Powers mentions using "Snatcher" to create objects effectively out of force, but when they're specific advantages with special abilities, that seems like a less-than ideal method, especially when I can only summon/create 7 specific pieces of armor/weapons.

Please help, and you guys are awesome. Thanks!
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Rainbow Knight Gabriel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
At first, I just bought a Melee, ST-Based Innate Attack with the Gadget limitations for the trinket. But that would imply I can use it instantly, reflexively, and what if I want to summon in first? I could take "Prep Required" or "Takes Extra Time" but that would require me to do it for each attack, and that doesn't fly.
How long does it take to summon the weapons and armor? Is it in genre for the process to be interrupted?

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested "Cosmic Payload," but considering I want the weapons/armor to be made of light, that would imply they're weightless and thus not limited by a Payload's weight constraints.
Omake following episode one:
"Girl-Chan aren't your weapons made of light?"
"Yep!"
"Then how does your Light Sword hit people so hard?"
"Light can be heavy!"
"But Girl-Chan--"
*author rushes the characters off screen*

Quote:
Another issue is with some of the other Advantages. To simulate the Defense Bonus of a summoned shield, I could take the "Enhanced Defenses" Meta-Trait, but a friend pointed out that there should be some benefit for not having it active 24/7.
A magic shield, if it has all the attendant problems of an actual shield when active like having to hold it and being potentially breakable, can be simply a perk.

Word of Kromm:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...28&postcount=2

Quote:
GURPS: Powers mentions using "Snatcher" to create objects effectively out of force, but when they're specific advantages with special abilities, that seems like a less-than ideal method, especially when I can only summon/create 7 specific pieces of armor/weapons.
Yes, Snatcher is probably the most expensive possible way for you to represent this power because it would let her produce all kinds of things, though.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Anaraxes

I'd most likely treat the armor/weapons as special effects of the IA/DR/etc, and so wouldn't worry about Payload, Snatcher, etc., for producing actual objects.

A recent thread with a similar question mentioned a house rule to allow Prep Requires/Takes Extra Time to provide one minute of use for an IA, similar to the definition of a "use" in other places. IAs are not Always On, so this isn't RAW.

In fact, I don't know of a good RAW way to activate an IA for a period of time, other than Afflicting yourself with the ability, which is awkward and expensive for something that's a mild disadvantage. Another way which seems legal to me but weird is to add an Environmental Limitation to the IA, so that it only works while "X" is present, and then add another ability with Takes Extra Time that creates that environmental state X -- maybe Create (Light), or Illusion, or a purely notional Create (Wonder Twin Powers Activated).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Dalillama

Another popular option, and one that fits the genre fairly well, would be to build it as an Alternate Form that has DR, IA, etc., with the armor and sword of light being special effects. Then you can apply the Gagdet, Takes Extra Time, etc. to that trait.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Gedrin

I would probably build it as a gadget innate attack.

Innate Attack: Impaling with Cutting alternate 10pts
Enhancement:
Affects Insubstantial: Because magic. +20%
Armor Divisor: Light Sword AD:2, +50%
Variable: Dagger to Greatsword, dial-a-damage +5%

Limitation:
Gadget: the one of a kind trinket is small and magically tough, but it's still jewelry and can be taken with guile or agility (-30% can be stolen, -25% unique) -55%
Melee Attack: I'd like variable to apply in terms of reach as well. It's the exact kind of light sword I want at the time. So, I'm going to go with reach C,1,2 for -20%
No Blunt Trauma: -20%
Nuisance Effect: Limits stealth, attracts enemies. -5%
Nuisance Effect: Summoning ritual/pose/chant. Takes a few seconds to turn on the power. -5%

Feature:
Uses appropriate sword/dagger skills instead of innate attack skills.

Total: -30% for 7pts per die of damage

You could also build it as a Striker, but I like the idea that the weapon isn't powered by ST. It seems genre appropriate for it to be powered by spiritual strength, dramatic tension or some other mystic energy. Also, that gives a good excuse for increasing the advantage's power. As the PC becomes more in tune with the Rainbow Talisman of Laser Sword and it's energy of blah blah blah, of course he'll be more effective.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Jinumon

Thanks for the input everybody. One final question.

Is there any kind of modifier, Limitation or Enhancement, that links multiple Advantages to a single Gadget Limitation? The idea is that I have this single key-chain trinket that allows me to summon all this armor and sword, and may provide things like Enhanced Move: Ground (for my Topaz Lightning Boots, of course), and I was wondering if it's considered a Limitation or Enhancement to say, "Hey, this one trinket gives me all these powers, but if you steal it, I lose all those powers too."

Thanks again!
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Just define your trinket as providing all those Advantages. There's no particular modifier for a gadget that provides several abilities, to contrast with several gadgets each providing one ability.

(An "ability" might be composed of several Advantages, for that matter.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadget limitation, innate attack, payload, powers, snatcher