Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Skarg

Default Does GURPS Time Travel have stuff that GURPS Infinite Worlds doesn't?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried to search for it and either got nothing or:

Quote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/www/vbulletin/includes/class_core.php on line 3292
(for "GURPS Time Travel")

I see that IW is about twice as long and says it has material from TT, but IW is also apparently from the perspective that IW is a campaign setting, while it seems to me TT was about GM's making their own settings of any sort of time-travel or dimension-hopping. Or is that what the IW setting is?

Mainly I want to know, for someone who probably isn't going to use the IW setting itself, foes TT have any relevant material that IW does not? Does IW have generic material that TT does not?

Thanks!
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Does GURPS Time Travel have stuff that GURPS Infinite Worlds doesn't?

I dont have my copy available but off the top of my head it had different types of time travel options explored. GURPS Timeline was a list of historical dates and could be useful for that as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Does GURPS Time Travel have stuff that GURPS Infinite Worlds doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Timeline was a list of historical dates and could be useful for that as well.
GURPS Timeline was the best history book I've ever purchased.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried to search for it and either got nothing or:
(for "GURPS Time Travel")
Google can be your friend here. If you use site:forums.sjgames.com you can limit the search to the SJGames forums. If you use allintitle: it will even limit the term search to thread titles.

"GURPS Time Travel" as a term
Time Travel in the title
"Time Travel" and "Infinite Worlds" in the same thread.

Quote:
I see that IW is about twice as long and says it has material from TT, but IW is also apparently from the perspective that IW is a campaign setting, while it seems to me TT was about GM's making their own settings of any sort of time-travel or dimension-hopping. Or is that what the IW setting is?

Mainly I want to know, for someone who probably isn't going to use the IW setting itself, foes TT have any relevant material that IW does not? Does IW have generic material that TT does not?

Thanks!
I don't think there was much. While the layout is very different in the two books, and Infinite Worlds focuses a bit more on the Infinity Unlimited campaign world instead of presenting a generic time travel supplement, Infinite Worlds does touch on the alternate time travel theories in Chapter 5 and the alternate campaign backgrounds in Chapter 8. Basically, there's not much, if anything of importance, that didn't make it into Infinite Worlds. The only major thing I see that got left out is the Timeline chapter, which was a 9 page timeline of interesting historical events. This likely got left out because 1) internet and 2) GURPS Timeline.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
I may be telling you something that you already know, but the table of contents of GURPS books are usually (always?) available as part of their previews.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
dataweaver

GURPS Time Travel included some more involved rules for engaging in Mental Time Travel, specifically for addressing what happens when the mind isn't used to the body that it ends up in. They're not really about time travel so much as they're about possession; but still, they're something that Time Travel has and Infinite Worlds doesn't. I could see such rules being implemented in 4e as a special Limitation for Possession.

It also went into a fair amount of detail about Gadgeteer from the perspective of “reinventing the future” (e.g., A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court ); but that was mainly a case of the book predating the Compendia and thus having to repeat rules.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
finn

I thought that the 4e Infinite Worlds lacks the champaign setting "In the Cube" and "Eternity's Rangers" from Time Travel 3e. But I double checked, and they are in Infinite Worlds, although in a condensed form. So, they have been careful to include most pieces from Time Travel into Infinite Worlds.

For most use cases, you shouldn't need Time Travel if you have Infinite Worlds. However, Time Travel is written in a different style, and not every small piece in Time Travel is included in Infinite Worlds. If you plan to run a time travel setting, and can get Time Travel at a reasonable price, I would recommend it. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps infinite worlds, gurps time travel, infinite worlds, time travel