Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
PatheticBarrel

Default Innate (Melee) Attack and OHWT

Hey, newer GM here. I'm currently working on running a campaign based on the popular CN show Adventure Time with custom races.

So far, everything is going ok (Candy People are confusing and the shows main characters are overpowered), but I've run into a problem with my custom race, the Swordsmen.

To make things short, male Swordsmen have a hilt and blade in place of the outer part of their elbow and lower arm ending at the wrist. I've decided that it is a Innate Melee Attack that does cutting damage, but no knockback. Brawling is the base skill used.

Normally, the off hand isn't used when talking about Brawling, but as this is 'technically' an implanted weapon, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be needed as seen by others. This would also bring the cost of the sword arm to a nice 10pts as I'm using Martial Arts rules for OHWT as a perk.

If I should include OHWT, how would I go about adding it via GCA? That may be impossible though...
PatheticBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Fwibos

Default Re: Innate (Melee) Attack and OHWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticBarrel View Post
Hey, newer GM here. I'm currently working on running a campaign based on the popular CN show Adventure Time with custom races.

So far, everything is going ok (Candy People are confusing and the shows main characters are overpowered), but I've run into a problem with my custom race, the Swordsmen.

To make things short, male Swordsmen have a hilt and blade in place of the outer part of their elbow and lower arm ending at the wrist. I've decided that it is a Innate Melee Attack that does cutting damage, but no knockback. Brawling is the base skill used.

Normally, the off hand isn't used when talking about Brawling, but as this is 'technically' an implanted weapon, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be needed as seen by others. This would also bring the cost of the sword arm to a nice 10pts as I'm using Martial Arts rules for OHWT as a perk.

If I should include OHWT, how would I go about adding it via GCA? That may be impossible though...
Sounds more like a cutting/impailing striker to me.

But the real answer is, Unless you are using harsh realism for unarmed fighters, both hands brawl at the same skill and ST.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

I agree that a Striker, or Talons are sufficient.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Langy

Innate attacks do not require OHWT, though you do need the 'dual weapons' enhancement (for +10%, I think) if you wield them in both hands.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
PatheticBarrel

Thanks for the inputs. Not sure about the Dual Weapon enhancement(can't find it in MA or Basic).

For the weapons themselves, I read Strikers as an extra limb that can be used to attack. These are more akin to blade held in a defensive grip along the arm. Claws and Talons seem to represent something that can grip. These can't.

We decided to keep OHWT for this particular instance as it fits with the more training intense culture that I'm wanting to represent.

Again thanks for your input, it will help steer my thought process with future races.
PatheticBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. Not sure about the Dual Weapon enhancement(can't find it in MA or Basic).
Melee Attack (Dual) can be found in Powers on page 103, and in PU4 Enhancements page 18
Quote:
For the weapons themselves, I read Strikers as an extra limb that can be used to attack. These are more akin to blade held in a defensive grip along the arm. Claws and Talons seem to represent something that can grip. These can't.
You can also use them to model an additional use of an existing limb (as is appropriate in this case)
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
fifiste

So what are your stats for Jake (or template for magical stretching dogs).
He seems to have like bazillion of CP-s
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex or not, gca, innate attack, ohwt