Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Ace0047

Default Necrophobia & Out To Lunch

After a large, unsettled debate, I am creating this post to get a specific answer regarding the use of Out to Lunch while cursed with Necrophobia.

Here's is the situation:

While currently cursed with Necrophobia the player in question flips open the door to reveal the Wright Brothers (Undead). The player knows that he is cursed with Necrophobia. He has Out to Lunch in his hand. No-one else is doing anything to help or hinder the combat.

The Question: Can this player play Out to Lunch from his hand?

My Educated Guess: After reading forums relating Necrophobia to similar cards such as Illusion, moderators have stated that this curse makes you run before you can play anything from your hand. (Necrophobia has the word "must" in italics.)

***I have not seen a post that directly relates Necrophobia to Out to Lunch.

The person in question needs proof that they can(or can't use) Out to Lunch...i.e. an example.

***We also need a credible source: A Moderator or Equal.

All others: feel free to comment, but the argument won't end until we hear from a moderator.
Ace0047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Necrophobia & Out To Lunch

It is simple.
If you have Necrophobia you must run away. This does not give you any opportunity to play any cards in combat.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

There are only Moderators. We have no equals. ;-)

I'm not sure how I can give an example. The card says you must Run Away, so you must. You have no option to do anything else. The other references you found might be considered examples of why your logic was correct, and since you found them already, I probably don't need to list them.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Ace0047

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
There are only Moderators. We have no equals. ;-)

I'm not sure how I can give an example. The card says you must Run Away, so you must. You have no option to do anything else. The other references you found might be considered examples of why your logic was correct, and since you found them already, I probably don't need to list them.
Upon further reading of the Q&A(http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/faq/), we found this section:
Q. The Lust Monster says ". . . you must flee" if you cannot get help from a member of the opposite sex. Does this mean I cannot use cards on it like Out to Lunch?
A. Even though it says you must Run Away, it does not say you have to do so immediately. So while you cannot fight the monster, you can use other cards on it, and if you can remove the monster from the fight entirely, the restriction is also removed.

How does this relate to the Necrophobia curse? -which only says,"must run away", but without the word "immediately".

Is the text on Curse Cards different than text on Monster Cards?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0047 View Post
How does this relate to the Necrophobia curse? -which only says,"must run away", but without the word "immediately".

Is the text on Curse Cards different than text on Monster Cards?
Curse! Necrophobia also says that you must run away even if you could have defeated the monster. Thus, even though it doesn't say immediately, it gives you no chance to defeat the monster.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

The Lust Monster provides a condition that will allow for you to defeat it (getting help from a character of the opposite sex). Curse! Necrophobia says that you must Run Away, even if you could have defeated the Monster (which would include playing cards like Pollymorph Potion, Magic Lamp, or Out To Lunch). The basic statement of Curse! Necrophobia is that you can not and will not fight an Undead Monster, therefore you will always find yourself unable to win and therefore must leave immediately, regardless of whether you're helping or the main combatant.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-14-2012 at 04:20 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Ace0047

Default Re: Necrophobia & Out To Lunch *RESOLVED*

Thank You All.

This Issue Is Resolved.

Tags
necrophobia, out to lunch, undead, wright brothers