Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Lamech

Default Re: Immunity

Another method is to simply declare that all fire attacks need to have "-X% does not effect [immune buggers]." and that the things immune to it are not affected by fire of the non-advantage variety. I would recommend something to compensate for the last part though. (I.E. Weakness to something else, or some sort of unusual background.)
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Another method is to simply declare that all fire attacks need to have "-X% does not effect [immune buggers]." and that the things immune to it are not affected by fire of the non-advantage variety. I would recommend something to compensate for the last part though. (I.E. Weakness to something else, or some sort of unusual background.)
Yeah this is a good technique too, though can be more bookkeeping.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
zoncxs

DR: X (only against fire) (where X is the biggest amount of damage fire can do in your world)

Temperature tolerance X (set this to just enough to not take heat from hottest fire in your game)

take on a power modifier if need be, maybe even a few other stuff (if you don't want your clothes to be effected add force field and no signature so people don't know its there).

If it is a fantasy world then DR: 60 (fire only) and T.T.: 20 might be a good start off point?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Tuoni

Its also perfectly reasonable to pick a point cost equivalent to what would protect 99% of the time, like zoncxs DR60 & T.T. 20, and declare that "Immune to Fire". Anything above that level can be declared too rare to be worth any points to defend against.

I know that solution has been put forth on these forums before.

And that is probably the best solution. Because really, being able to survive in the centre of the sun isn't worth any points if the campaign never involves anything hotter then a forest fire.

Edit: To be real safe, take that 99% cost, and double it. This allows a notable difference between "highly resistant" (hellfire daemon) and "immune" (fire elemental).

Last edited by Tuoni; 10-29-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Farmer

Thanks for the additional feedback and suggestions!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
IT doesn't really fit the bill so far as I can see, so I'm left with DR (Limited to burning).
The other solution is to buy enough DR to withstand the most powerful form of the relevant attack in your setting; this requires a series of benchmarks for how much dice various effects do that is being very gradually filled in as new GURPS supplements are written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Another possibility is to use Warp or Jumper with Tunnel, +100% (p. P89) to divert damaging attacks away from you. Use Aura + Melee Attack to "wrap" the tunnel around your entire body (not RAW, but in the spirit) and anything which touches you will go through the tunnel instead of hitting you (again, add Limited to restrict this to certain damage types). For example:[INDENT]Fire Invulnerability: Jumper (Aura, +80%; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Limited, Heat/Fire Attacks, -40%; Limited Access, "Nowhere", -0%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; No Signature, Undetectable, +25%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Reflexive, +40%; Faster Concentration 5, +25%; Tunnel, +100%) [420].
Impressive attempt, Munin, and only slightly more brain-hurting than when I tried it during the POWERS playtest.:)

Nowadays, I'd recommend starting with a Selective and Persistent form of Control Space, IIRC 9 levels will bend space 180 degrees and presto! Your body simply repels damage even if struck directly on!

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Impressive attempt, Munin, and only slightly more brain-hurting than when I tried it during the POWERS playtest.:)

Nowadays, I'd recommend starting with a Selective and Persistent form of Control Space, IIRC 9 levels will bend space 180 degrees and presto! Your body simply repels damage even if struck directly on!
I see your Control Space, and rise it to Affliction (HT; Advantage, Insubstantiability, +800%; Aura of Power*, +175%; Cosmic, Affects Energy too, +50%; Cosmic, No Rule of 16, +50%; No Will roll to activate*, +5%) [118] and Will +20 (Only for the affliction with Aura of Power, -60%) [40]

Anything that might harm the character who possesses this ability may become insubstantial instantly when within 2 yards of him. Roll a quick contest of the character's Will+20 vs the object's, attack's or enemy character's HT, ignoring the rule of 16. For mundane attacks, assume HT 12. For Innate Attacks, assume the HT of the character possessing the Innate Attack.

*Aura of Power includes Requires Will Roll, as it is a "meta-modifier" I created for the article of the same name in Pyramid #3/19

Since it's HT vs Will+20, on the worst case, that is the character rolling a 18, and the attack(er) rolling a 3, the effect is automatic unless the the attack(er) has an HT equal or over the character's Will+5.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I see your Control Space, and rise it to Affliction (HT; Advantage, Insubstantiability, +800%; Aura of Power*, +175%; Cosmic, Affects Energy too, +50%; Cosmic, No Rule of 16, +50%; No Will roll to activate*, +5%) [118] and Will +20 (Only for the affliction with Aura of Power, -60%) [40]

Anything that might harm the character who possesses this ability may become insubstantial instantly when within 2 yards of him. Roll a quick contest of the character's Will+20 vs the object's, attack's or enemy character's HT, ignoring the rule of 16. For mundane attacks, assume HT 12. For Innate Attacks, assume the HT of the character possessing the Innate Attack.

*Aura of Power includes Requires Will Roll, as it is a "meta-modifier" I created for the article of the same name in Pyramid #3/19

Since it's HT vs Will+20, on the worst case, that is the character rolling a 18, and the attack(er) rolling a 3, the effect is automatic unless the the attack(er) has an HT equal or over the character's Will+5.
Dont you need reflexive for this as well?
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #19
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Dont you need reflexive for this as well?
No, as the Aura affects all those who enter it automatically.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Sunrunners_Fire

I've found that pricing "Immune to ..." at [100] to be fair, figuring that Unkillable 2 [100] can be rephrased as "Immune to Death"; using Unkillable 2 as a pricing guideline (only).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction-proof