Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Melee Playmat

Has anyone noticed that the purple Melee playmat can also be quite a dandy little Ogre map with craters?
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Melee Playmat

On the flip side, the green maps/playmats work great as TFT regional maps.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Izzy_B

Over the weekend I tried the Melee map for a quick GEV style game and the tightness of the "craters" puts lots of emphasis on maneuverability and allows defenders to block really well.

I also took it one step further and did a micro game on the box for the mega-hexes. Not the mega-hexes themselves (though I'm going to try that out as a "build map as battle progresses"thing) but the box itself where two mega-hexes are printed on the top.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
HeatDeath

I played an Ogre duel on the Melee map last week: An Ogre Mk IV vs a Fencer-A plus 3 HVYs. It was well balanced and really fun. The space is a little tight for a full battle but is just right for an Ogre duel, and the locations of the "craters" keep things interesting.

The ramming duel went as expected. Ogres that size do 4D6 damage to each other, and the Mk IV has significantly more tread units, so the Fencer was always going to get immobilized - the question was just how much it could slow the IV down first, and whether it could keep any missile racks open by that point. A Mk IV with M1 and no missiles limping away from an immobilized Fencer with two working missile racks is in a pretty bad situation.

The Fencer was able to take out most of the Mk IV's weapons and treads before being immobilized itself. The tanks I held back until that point, then sent them in the finish off the crippled Mk IV.

The Fencer would quite possibly have finished off the Mk IV itself, but it missed with a /lot/ of missiles. The Mk IV missed with most of it's first two salvos, got behind the firepower/damage curve, and never did get the Fencer's last two missile racks.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 06-10-2019 at 08:39 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Izzy_B

I tried out 8 GEVs trying to destroy 3 buildings of unknown type defended by 6 heavy tanks and 3 missile tanks. Defenders basically held the line unless presented with an opportunity to move once and attack retreated GEVs. As it worked out those craters really limited movement by the GEVs. Attackers managed to destroy one 10SP admin building entirely and reduce a 20SP strongpoint to 2SP before being wiped out themselves.

I might turn it into a short fiction piece.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I played an Ogre duel on the Melee map last week: An Ogre Mk IV vs a Fencer-A plus 3 HVYs. It was well balanced and really fun. The space is a little tight for a full battle but is just right for an Ogre duel, and the locations of the "craters" keep things interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
I tried out 8 GEVs trying to destroy 3 buildings of unknown type defended by 6 heavy tanks and 3 missile tanks. <snip>

I might turn it into a short fiction piece.
I'm feeling a submission or two brewing . . . !

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I'm feeling a submission or two brewing . . . !

D.
Possibly...