Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
dripton

Default Re: A really big hex map

Bruno, how did your group handle moving PC tokens on the shared map on the big TV? Multiple computers, or one computer with multiple mice, or pass-the-mouse, or giving verbal instructions to whoever has the mouse?
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Bruno, how did your group handle moving PC tokens on the shared map on the big TV? Multiple computers, or one computer with multiple mice, or pass-the-mouse, or giving verbal instructions to whoever has the mouse?
A combination of multiple computers, pass-the-mouse, and giving instructions to whoever had the mouse, depending on the players level of laziness.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #23
lachimba

Went with mega map and battle map.

It breaks both my rule of not spending money and collecting stuff, but even if I just as expected use them at least three times a year it will be less than $1 a game over the length of time I expect to have them.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:11 AM   #24
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Will this make the mega map fray because at all because the edge is cut? it seems like the right thing to do as I can cut right along the last square on length and width and that should fit snugly.
Well, I have a vinyl battle map cut in half that I lug around to places a few times a year and in 4 or so years so far there have been no problems but YMMV.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Joe

For years, we used a few A3 sheets of hex paper that had been laminated. Whenever we needed a really huge battlemap, we just laid them down side by side. It worked well.

If you stick with multiple smaller-sized maps, there's no need for an oversized printer or laminator - you can just print them out and laminate them at the local print shop. They also travel and store more easily than a single big map.

Of course, eventually I started to want something prettier- so this week, I came up with this.

(Sorry to link to my blog, but I happen to have just posted these new battlemaps, and they seem relevant to the discussion.)
Old 11-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #26
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I'm waiting for the GNL game mats kickstarter to ship.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #27
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
For years, we used a few A3 sheets of hex paper that had been laminated. Whenever we needed a really huge battlemap, we just laid them down side by side. It worked well.

If you stick with multiple smaller-sized maps, there's no need for an oversized printer or laminator - you can just print them out and laminate them at the local print shop. They also travel and store more easily than a single big map.

Of course, eventually I started to want something prettier- so this week, I came up with this.

(Sorry to link to my blog, but I happen to have just posted these new battlemaps, and they seem relevant to the discussion.)
Wow. Those are pretty cool. What did you make them out of? It almost looks like clay, of some sort. Is it papier–mâché?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Wow. Those are pretty cool. What did you make them out of? It almost looks like clay, of some sort. Is it papier–mâché?
Foamcore. The previous ones were clay, with me painstakingly making each individual hex by hand - but that was labor intensive!

Actually, now that I think about it, I've told a lie: each board has two layers; a foamcore layer for the top, and "Gatorboard" layer for the bottom. "Gatorboard" is a kind of treated foamcore used in sign-making - it's a lot tougher and more rigid than normal foamcore; I used it to give the whole thing some solidity, and because it doesn't warp when glue, paint etc are applied.

I put a lot of matte varnish on the top, too, to protect it in play - foamcore can be fragile, otherwise - but with a lot of PVA glue, paint, and varnish, I think they'll probably hold up pretty well.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

These are in the process of being brought to market.

http://www.gamenightlife.com/category-s/100.htm

Tiles printed with squares or (most importantly for GURPS) hexes.

Magnets in the edges to keep them together and they will allow you to use a table to best advantage - IE use the number of tiles that the table can hold rather than having a map that is too large or small for the table. Any shape of table...

Draw/write on them with anything and clean it right off. Leave a drawing of a starship/village/secret lair on for use at the next month's worth (or more) of game nights. Use one or more with a different scale when things get BIG i.e. the party is spread out and each hex on that map equals a whole tile (or a megahex of tiles! :P) on the tactical scale.

Done for the night? Stack them in a back pack and go home.

Currently the project is funded and in the process of getting master samples for production - http://gamenightlife.blogspot.com/ for updates.

(Full disclosure - not a part of GNL but I did contribute to the Kickstarter - to my mind these are just cool and fit my needs as a GM)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #30
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I'm waiting for the GNL game mats kickstarter to ship.
Had I just not spent money on a chessex map that looks like a really good option.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a1 paper, battle map, gurps, maps