Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
MunchkinMan

Default Re: How do you play your Original Munchkin?

I was going to say "Commando," but I'll be serious instead: Two separate sets of Munchkin 1-5, plus most of the Munchkin boosters (I leave out Fairy Dust and Munchkinomicon unless someone really wants to play with them) reside in Boxes Of Holding and a Sammlerbox, shuffled. This way, they can be played at any time. After play, I take a number of cards from the top of the deck about equal to 1/4 the total cards and set that aside as the top of the deck for the next game, then shuffle the discards and the remainder of the deck. This way, there's a guarantee to see some "new" stuff, but it doesn't create a problem where already played cards are completely banished to the pile. This becomes especially important if a lot of bigger Monsters happened to be in the discards.

Also, the 1/4 is arbitrary, and if I have to change it up, I will, especially if I know from the last game that all that are left are huge Monsters that no one can beat, or all the Monsters were played out and we're going to spend the next 30 minutes looting the room for all the copies of one Class. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Deck ! - Munchkin base, Unnatural Axe, Clerical Errors, Deranged and Need Fer Steed.

Deck 2 - Munchkin Base, Unnatural Axe, Waiting Fer Santa, Santa's Revenge, Marked fer Death, Fairy Dust and many promo's.

Deck 3 - Every Fantasy Munchkin Set. Preshuffled. (I have 4 foster daughters, they drive me nuts, so I give them something to do.)

As they keep kicking out boosters, I'll keep designing sets and mixes. I want to see if AxeCop will mix with Fantasy as well as Mr. Hackard indicated or perhaps Munchkin Zombies. Also, if more than one Munchkin Conan the Barbarian Booster comes out, it will make a neat custom deck also.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
natesroom

I like that deck 2 idea... I'm goin to jacksonville this weekend and i was going to stop by one of the targets that were selling the Munchkin Products to see if they still have some... If so i was going to buy it and make that my second base set.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
jarAGGIE05

For several months we kept all of the Munchkin expansions all mixed together in the boxes of holding(not including Santa, Fairy Dust, & Munchkinomicon). Each game, we take out about 1/5 or 1/4 of the total deck. Once we went through about 2/3 of one of the decks we will all sit down and do a big shuffle of the cards again.

We find the diversity in cards and all of the different things the expansions brought to the table (literally and metaphorically, hehe) made the game fun and different every time we played. However, it also, in my experience, lengthened the game (usually 1.5 - 2 hours). Lately, since we picked up Munchkin Zombies, we've come to really appreciate the shorter games, so we've been cycling through Fantasy/Star/Zombie base sets. We'll probably mix in the respective 2's of those games and cycle through the games once Armed and Dangerous comes out.

That's one of the many things I LOVE about this game; all of the different ways you can mix things to change up the game. One of these days we plan to have, what I refer to, Munchkin Smorgasbord with all of the expansions, dungeons, Fairy Dust, Munchkinomicon, Santa, Dice, iPhone apps....EVERYTHING!

Last edited by jarAGGIE05; 06-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.
jarAGGIE05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
StormyWaters

I play with Munchkin 1-6, Fairy Dust, Santa 1+2, Munchkinomicon, Monster Enhancers, Reloaded x2, and Marked for Death.

I can fit them all, very snug, in my original box, along with the rule book, die, coins, and 6 standard-sized d10s.

I shuffle the following as one-deck:

Munchkin 1-5
Monster Enhancers
Reloaded x2
Marked for Death

Once I have that much shuffled into one deck, I take the top half and shuffle in the Portal cards. Then I take the top half of THAT (so the top 1/4 of the whole deck) and shuffle in Sparkly Good Fairy and Santa cards. Then place the Munchkinomicon on top of the treasure deck and we're set.

It takes me 5-10 minutes all told to get set up. A fair bit of work to shuffle and set up, but it's worth it for the fun.

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote