Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #1
Bathawk

Default Density Increase Affliction

Hey all, building a character who has the ability to increase density on a target, like the Gurps character "Dwarfstar" from 3rd edition

currently I'm trying to just do it as a form of transmutation, but I saw in another thread that "Power-Ups: Enhancements" has an enhancement for affliction called "density increase"

I DO plan on on buying Enhancements myself (I had $60 dollar gift certificate for warehouse23 that went "missing" during the transfer to the new site, hoping they will correct it this week)....so I know you can't simply tell me all the rules for it here I think...but as a "placeholder" can anyone tell me how expensive of an enhancement is is at least?
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:11 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Density Increase Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
I saw in another thread that "Power-Ups: Enhancements" has an enhancement for affliction called "density increase"
It's there. It's approximately +5% for each x2 to x2.5 step: the table is awkward to summarise.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
monstrous engineer

Quote:
+5% for x2 weight, +10% for x5, +15% for x10, +20% for
x20, +25% for x50, +30% for x100, and so on.
By itself, the density change is mostly just a nuisance/flavor thing. If you want to add additional effects to cover reduced ST or DX (like you'd expect if you suddenly found yourself five time heavier), those are separate.
monstrous engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
monstrous engineer

If you do formulas, the cost for most things follows a roughly logarithmic progression similar to the one used in Know Your Own Strength and a few other rules variations.

If you want a scale where each step is a constant multiple of the one before, the formula is

<this many times more powerful> = <maximum multiple>^(<some skill>/<max possible skill>

In the density affliction cost case, the maximum multiple is x100, and since we're talking about a cost rather than a skill we change the wording slightly, max cost is 30% (or just 30). So, if you want to know what you get for 15%,

<this many times more powerful> = 100^(15/30) = 10

Last edited by monstrous engineer; 07-15-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: posted before i was finished
Old 07-15-2023, 01:23 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrous engineer View Post
By itself, the density change is mostly just a nuisance/flavor thing. If you want to add additional effects to cover reduced ST or DX (like you'd expect if you suddenly found yourself five time heavier), those are separate.
You could also add Reduced Move (another modifier for Affliction in the same supplement).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #6
Bathawk

hmm so sounds like the "nuisance effect" is really just useful for dropping people through fragile wood floors and the like. I was hoping for somethign like the origianl density increase...becoming also too heavy to move and possible increased DR vs. crushing attacks
Old 07-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #7
monstrous engineer

Why not just go with that? Use the same basic cost structure:

Cost: 0% to 30%
density: 1x to 100x (log scale)
DR: 0 to 50 (log scale)
ST: -0 to -10 (log scale)
Old 07-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrous engineer View Post
Why not just go with that? Use the same basic cost structure:

Cost: 0% to 30%
density: 1x to 100x (log scale)
DR: 0 to 50 (log scale)
ST: -0 to -10 (log scale)
I apologize..what's "log scale"?
Old 07-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
hmm so sounds like the "nuisance effect" is really just useful for dropping people through fragile wood floors and the like. I was hoping for somethign like the origianl density increase...becoming also too heavy to move and possible increased DR vs. crushing attacks
Hence the Reduced Move modifier for Affliction I mentioned above. Its pretty cheap too. Just combine them into one Afflcition.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:56 PM   #10
monstrous engineer

Ah, sorry, it's scale where each step increases the value by constant value (kind of like how compound interest works).

It's a really useful tool when doing anything with gurps and trying to balance costs and effects. I'll try to type up a better explanation tonight if you're interested.