Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #101
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Terrifying GM Statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that enchanting can potentially break the limitations of Vancian magic and the so-called balance of that particular edition. That, and it takes magic item control out of the hands of the GM, creating more imbalance. So it costs the caster power in exp.
It should be noted Ad&D 2nd making magical items earned XP not spent them, spend the XP was new to 3.0
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #102
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
I guessing the exp cost is more or less a way in dungeon crawls to have character discouraged from making their own item as oppose to going inside a cave to find better stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that enchanting can potentially break the limitations of Vancian magic and the so-called balance of that particular edition. That, and it takes magic item control out of the hands of the GM, creating more imbalance. So it costs the caster power in exp.
I pretty sure it's a little from column a and a little from column b.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #103
Emerald Cat

"My laptop ran out of power and I forgot to bring my power cord. I'm going to have to improvise the rest of the session."

or

"I'm going to roll for random encounters [rolls]. Guess what guys, you get to fight 6 trolls!"

I actually did the first one at a session. Luckily, I was a player so it didn't disrupt the group to much. But I did have to improvise my character the entire session. Now I make my characters give me an up to date copy of their character sheet to avoid this kind of problem.

The second is based on an incident where I rolled 6 trolls on the random encounter for my Pathfinder game. Originally, I was going to make the quote "Oh, I used the wrong size for these trolls. They're actually large creatures." This was in reference to the fact that I didn't realize they were large creatures and used medium tokens for the trolls. But most players wouldn't run just because they ran into a creature that is larger than them. So this isn't terrifying enough to go on the list, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, trolls are completely unkillable due to their regeneration in Pathfinder. Unless you hit them with acid or fire. And my players failed the skill roll to know this. The only reason this didn't end in a TPK is that the trolls were unwilling to jump in the river to chase the fleeing survivors.

Even if they had made the knowledge roll, I don't think it would have helped much. It was pretty obvious that they didn't have reliable enough access to acid or fire damage to overcome the troll's regeneration. Which is sad considering that fire is the most prevalent spell damage type in Pathfinder, and Acid Splash has unlimited uses per day. To be fair, Acid Splash is so weak that most players wouldn't use it at their level, even if they did have it. They really could have used a wizard with a fireball in that encounter!
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #104
borithan

"And around the corner comes a rainbow dinosaur!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilanthri View Post
More of a Terrifying Player Statement:

I once got invited into a Rifts game mid-campaign...showed up and a player tells me, "So, our GM isn't coming tonight. We figured you could just run us through something."

Literally made **** up for 3 hours.
To be fair, anything you could have come up with would probably be better than actually trying to play Rifts.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #105
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
"And around the corner comes a rainbow dinosaur!"
I don't get it. Could you please explain this?
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #106
Purple Haze

Traditionally (in D&D), white dragons breathe cold, green poison, blue lightning, black acid, and red fire. So how many breath weapons does a rainbow (seven colours?) have?
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #107
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Traditionally (in D&D), white dragons breathe cold, green poison, blue lightning, black acid, and red fire. So how many breath weapons does a rainbow (seven colours?) have?
That would be the Prismatic Dragon in Dnd. Which only has 1 breath weapon but with random effect based on the Prismatic Spray spell.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #108
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

How about "The dragon is purple with a green underbelly, surrounded by a horde of small bears in the colors of the rainbow"?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #109
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
How about "The dragon is purple with a green underbelly, surrounded by a horde of small bears in the colors of the rainbow"?
I've never seen a pastel rainbow before...
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:34 AM   #110
Humabout

"Hey, does anyone remember how Supernatural Durability works again?"

Player: "I parry."
GM: "How heavy is your weapon?"

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote