Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 AM   #91
Frost

Default Re: Terrifying GM Statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
The only reasonable explanation I can come up with for common cursed items is that they're the result of critical failures on enchanting rolls. It's not that there are a bunch of wizards making -1 swords on purpose; they're aiming for +1 swords and rolling 18s and then extracting some salvage value. But how realistic is that really?
I am not sure that its realistic at all but having master craftsmen selling factory seconds on the side doesn't signify next to many things in a typical DF world.

I have always assumed something similar, however I have always felt that (mostly for comedy value) it made more sense if its servants or apprentices doing the selling. The rule here is that selling the enchanters occasional banjax is a legitimate perk of the job- as long as you don't get caught. The enchanter still gets most of the money back either in apprentice fees or reduced care and feeding and establishes plausible deniability while he sells off his failures.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #92
corwyn

To the speedster in a street supers game when facing a fast feral demon:

So your speed is 12 point 0, right?

Everybody but the player in question turned their heads and went "oooh".

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #93
Erling

"His shots lands at gap in your body armor".
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:00 AM   #94
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
GM: "Alright, anyone have First Aid?"
Players: "Ya, best 1 point ever!", "Obviously, after last time we all got it."
GM: "Did anyone actually buy first aid supplies..."
Players: "Oh... right"
GM: "Roll First Aid at -5"
CPR is real world ok with no supplies. Probably comes up less often in games than it does real life.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #95
Tomsdad

"just checking you said you took your gauntlets off to avoid the penalty didn't you?"
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #96
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I have always assumed something similar, however I have always felt that (mostly for comedy value) it made more sense if its servants or apprentices doing the selling. The rule here is that selling the enchanters occasional banjax is a legitimate perk of the job- as long as you don't get caught. The enchanter still gets most of the money back either in apprentice fees or reduced care and feeding and establishes plausible deniability while he sells off his failures.
I had always thought of them as being the work of apprentice enchanters; either from a 'it's simpler to curse than to buff' theory, or that they were the magical equivalent of the off-centre pots you make when first learning how to use the wheel. There are always more apprentices than masters, so the idea that most magical items are quirk-level cursed items (or minor buff items) never seemed off to me.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #97
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
I had always thought of them as being the work of apprentice enchanters; either from a 'it's simpler to curse than to buff' theory, or that they were the magical equivalent of the off-centre pots you make when first learning how to use the wheel. There are always more apprentices than masters, so the idea that most magical items are quirk-level cursed items (or minor buff items) never seemed off to me.
For me, there is also the aspect of "And Some enchanters have Imps for Familiars"
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #98
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
I had always thought of them as being the work of apprentice enchanters; either from a 'it's simpler to curse than to buff' theory, or that they were the magical equivalent of the off-centre pots you make when first learning how to use the wheel.
I've encountered a model where magic had an intrinsic balance, and thus you had to enchant as much darkness as light, or debuff as buff. This would suggest there are vast caches of cursed items, made by enchanters as a cost of doing business, and unsellable.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #99
Disliker of the mary sue

I remember a line from the fanfiction harry potter and the natrual 20 where Milo was confused how one could have a whole shop filled with wands since the exp cost to make that many magical items would drain a epic level wizard to level 1 or something....

I guessing the exp cost is more or less a way in dungeon crawls to have character discouraged from making their own item as oppose to going inside a cave to find better stuff.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #100
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
I remember a line from the fanfiction harry potter and the natrual 20 where Milo was confused how one could have a whole shop filled with wands since the exp cost to make that many magical items would drain a epic level wizard to level 1 or something....

I guessing the exp cost is more or less a way in dungeon crawls to have character discouraged from making their own item as oppose to going inside a cave to find better stuff.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that enchanting can potentially break the limitations of Vancian magic and the so-called balance of that particular edition. That, and it takes magic item control out of the hands of the GM, creating more imbalance. So it costs the caster power in exp.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game master, horror, terrifying