Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Teleport-walking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
RPK puts Reduced Range on top of Range Limit (Psionic Powers, pp. 68, 70)
AHA! Ta much, that sorts that one out. 5 yards is one level (-10%), 2 yards is two levels (-20%)... I'd allow 3 yards as "one and a half levels" I suppose (-15%) if I were really determined to get to that number exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
This might actually be simpler to build as Flight with an enhancement Doesn't Traverse Space (maybe +100%) and limitations to slow it down (-?%) and a harsh variant of Requires Surface from Powers p.50 (instead of every 5 seconds on any surface, make it every second and a surface you can stand on; I'd call it -60%).
Flight doesn't take limitations to slow it down - cannonically you buy down your Flight Move at -2 per Move. There is a point where this turns totally pear-shaped, and if I had my druthers, 5th ed will patch that problem by making reduced Flight Move a limitation like you thought it was :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I agree, but I'd use Move or Walk on Air with Doesn't Traverse Space.
Walk on Air has the problem of requiring an atmosphere, which Flight and teleportation do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Even if you don't want to build it as Flight, might be a nice cost comparison to a Warp build.
Definitely a good "Sanity check". I always feel a little dirty modifying something so fundamentally when there's another advantage that seems to be closer to the concept to start with :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You can get Teleport down to a free action, with max penalties. You still get your normal maneuver, including move if your maneuver allows it, so it counting as a step is probably a -5% nuisance effect, and counting as full move ought to be around double that.
Oh, aha - THAT works.

OK, that's a lot of holes filled in with official or at least less-unofficial patches, AND a benchmark to compare to in order to confirm things aren't totally off-the-wall.

I'll make another post recalculating stuff!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
seasong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
This must be a wrong build because it takes a trivial benefit and makes it cost more than having vanilla Warp.
Multiplicative modifiers shifts that to 59 points (with -70% in limitations wasted).

And personally, I would take 59 points as the new base and then apply the remaining -70%, to get 18 points.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Icelander

Assuming that the character has IQ or IQ+Talent at 13+, no Reliable is needed.

Depending on the IQ+Talent, if it's 16+, I'd probably use the Perk No Nuisance Rolls, because it produces fairer cost results.

Warp (Extra-Carrying Capacity +50%; Gyroscopic +10%; Reliability 10 +50%; Accessibility: Movement maneuvers, -10%; Accessibility, Only places you could walk/climb to, given time, -20%; Magical -10%, Nuisance: Cannot Spent FP * -20%; Nuisance: Cannot Prepare * -20%; Range Limit 10 yds -50%, Reduced Range 1.5 -15%; Temporary Disadvantage, Basic Move -5, Taboo Trait (Basic Move, -25%; Vision-based -20%).

Add the Perk and you're looking at 21 points.

*Fairly significant limitations on the way Warp normally works.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

Gyroscopic is clearly required, and is about the only limitation I'm sure about :)
I've never heard of Gyroscopic and I can't seem to find it in Powers or Characters. Where is it from and what does it do?

Quote:
Range Limit canonically caps out at 10 yards for -50% but I'm looking for even shorter - 3 yards for -55% seem reasonable?
To follow the established progression, 5 yards would be -55%, and 2 yards would be -60%.

Quote:
... But that would still require a Concentrate action and precludes Move and Attack and All Out Attacks, ...
Maybe you need to use Cosmic to suspend the rule that says Reduced Time cannot apply, then you need to buy Reduced Time down to zero.

Quote:
Having to perceive the destination directly - not being able to use CCTV, ESP, scrying, etc OR to use your own memories to reach a location seems like a big limitation. Bigger if you can't teleport through "sealed" barriers, like glass doors, or require a minimum "gap" size beyond a peephole in order to "see" through something.
Just going by my gut: -40%.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I've never heard of Gyroscopic and I can't seem to find it in Powers or Characters. Where is it from and what does it do?
It's from Psionic Powers. It removes the requirement to make a Body Sense roll to avoid being Mentally Stunned for one turn for having been teleported. See Basic Set p 181 for how that normally works without the enhancement.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Bruno

Folks seem to be orbiting around 20 or 25 points depending on Move 5 or Move 3 and how you juggle your numbers and what options for math and what limitations you apply.

Comparing Vanilla Walk on Air [20] or Flight (Requires Surface, -20%) plus Flight Move -5 [22] or Flight (Requires Surface with Reduced Time 3, -32%) plus Flight Move -5 [18] I think you're all in the right zone for general-utility-for-points-spent.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Have a look at Horror page 20

Quote:
In every slasher movie, there’s the moment when the camera looks away – and the killer is gone! He’s slipped into the closet, or the air vent, or the shed, seemingly without ever opening the door. Model this as follows:

Ghostly Movement: Warp (Accessibility, Only if unobserved, -20%; Accessibility, Only places you could walk/climb to, given time, -20%; Extra Carrying Capacity, Medium, +20%; Range Limit, -50%) [30].

Notes: Requires a Move maneuver in combat. You can get anywhere within Move yards, provided that nobody is looking and that you could have gotten there “the hard way,” given sufficient time. For example, you could move from the floor of an office into the heating vent above you, with the grate closed behind you, in a second. As a special effect, any mundane requirements for getting from A to B replace Warp’s usual success roll, and Warp fails if you can’t meet them; e.g., if you would need a Lockpicking roll, you must know Lockpicking, while if you would have to unscrew a bolt, you require a wrench. The GM decides whether this is “actual” Warp, some sort of super-speed, or simply a special effect of being a psycho killer. 30 points.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Have a look at Horror page 20
Ghostly Movement already been referenced in this thread, the difference here is that the character can't get through sealed barriers and doesn't get the free Lockpicking roll or whatever (and of course can be observed). This probably just replaces the "Accessibility, Only places you could walk/climb to, given time, -20%" with "Must traverse distance: -30%". Add Vision Based if the 'porter can only reach places they can see.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-29-2011 at 11:14 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Kenshiro

Look at the "Ghost Walk" advantage in GURPS Horror.
Kenshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's from Psionic Powers. It removes the requirement to make a Body Sense roll to avoid being Mentally Stunned for one turn for having been teleported. See Basic Set p 181 for how that normally works without the enhancement.
Thanks v. much.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, powers, teleportation, warp