Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #1
Maz

Default Ultra Tech Powersleeve. What does it help with?

In UT p. 181. There is a powersleeve which gives Arm ST +6.

However it then notes: "It gives Arm ST+6 for crushing, gripping, and holding to the arm it is worn on []..."

What exactly does that mean?

What I am certain of is:
  • It helps for thrust damage to crush something in your hand.
  • It helps for any ST-check to avoid loosing grip of something (such as a disarm attempt, or a ST check to keep hold of a ledge you are hanging off from).

What I am unsure about it:
  • How does it affect grabbling? [I would sya "yes it helps", also to stuff like wrench limb or suffocating.]
  • How does it affect weapon wielded? [I would say "yes to Min ST-requirement", especially for guns, but "no" to actual damage bonus.]
  • How does it help lifting power? [I honestly don't know. Based on the wording I would say "no", I guess.]
  • How would it benefit climbing? [I'm guessing it would help for a ST-based climbing check for a pull up. But if you only have it on one arm would only let you add half the ST bonus].

How would you rule it in your game, when one of your players ask all of these questions?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
DemiBenson

Default Re: Ultra Tech Powersleeve. What does it help with?

From the description, it sounds like it DOES NOT power assist the shoulder, so my take is that it only helps with grip strength for the hand and elbow.
So, it helps with ST for crushing using your hand, and ST for holding onto weapons (and similar), and maybe arm wrestling when braced against a solid surface. But it does not help with MinST for weapons, weapon damage, lifting ST, or anything else adventure-related.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
mhd

Default Re: Ultra Tech Powersleeve. What does it help with?

This sounds like a forearm sleeve, pretty much limited to working like a vise. Vastly removed from full Arm ST. So in game terms, yes to crushing something when grappling (although I would think that a fixed, even higher ST would be better than a straight bonus), no to pretty much anything else. No Min ST, no striking, throwing etc.

Depending on the surface, I'd count it as enough equipment for a climb by itself.

Now, a full arm brace (up to the shoulder) would just be Arm ST with the new(-ish?) Unsupported modifier.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote