Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
thedanster7000

Default Extra Attack & All-Out-Attack & Trademark Move

I'm creating a Swashbuckler who uses Nito Ryu, and so fights with a katana in one hand and a shortsword in the other. He has one level of Extra Attack and the Trademark Moves (Dual-Weapon Attack; Shortsword Swing/Torso, Broadsword Swing/Torso) and (All-Out-Attack; Broadsword Swing/Neck). I did this to make the following turn possible:
  • Swing twice as a Dual-Weapon attack, utilising the former Trademark Move.
  • Then (as my Extra Attack) do an All-Out-Attack utilising my second Trademark move.
Does this work this way? I'm not sure because the All-Out, Extra, and Trademark Attacks all collide.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Finius_Lyn

Default Re: Extra Attack & All-Out-Attack & Trademark Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanster7000 View Post
I'm creating a Swashbuckler who uses Nito Ryu, and so fights with a katana in one hand and a shortsword in the other. He has one level of Extra Attack and the Trademark Moves (Dual-Weapon Attack; Shortsword Swing/Torso, Broadsword Swing/Torso) and (All-Out-Attack; Broadsword Swing/Neck). I did this to make the following turn possible:
  • Swing twice as a Dual-Weapon attack, utilising the former Trademark Move.
  • Then (as my Extra Attack) do an All-Out-Attack utilising my second Trademark move.
Does this work this way? I'm not sure because the All-Out, Extra, and Trademark Attacks all collide.

Thanks in advance.
I believe that the extra attack gives you exactly one extra attack, not an extra attack action. You do not have the option of doing an all out attack with the extra attack. So you would use your normal attack action to get an all out attack (double) and then use your extra attack on top of that. You *can* use your extra attack as a dual weapon attack (you are allowed to use any single attack in a turn as a dual weapon attack or rapid strike).
Effectively, it is the same as you describe (all out attack and dual weapon attack), but you came at it a bit backwards.
Also, trademark move covers your turn, not your attack. So in this case, you would have a single trademark move that is the entire action that you describe above. You don't need two separate trademark moves (and, in fact, can't use two separate trademark moves in a single round this way). The only exception to that that I know of is if you are under the effects of something like a greater haste spell which actually grants you extra actions/rounds.
I hope that this helps!
Finius_Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Harald387

Extra attack grants one extra attack action when you select the Attack, All-Out Attack, or Move And Attack maneuvers (Adventurers p.49). That's your maneuver for the turn: how you break it down is up to you. You can trade ONE attack action for a Rapid Strike or Dual-Weapon Attack, and your All-Out Attack choice can be "Double" for a total of three attack actions.

Your trademark move should be:

All-Out Attack (Strong? Determined? Pick one) with the following attack actions:
-Dual-Weapon Attack (Shortsword Swing/Torso) & Broadsword Swing/Torso
-Broadsword Swing/Neck

You could alternately use some other combination, like "AoA (Double): DWA (Shortsword Swing/Torso, Broadsword Swing/Torso), Broadsword Swing/Neck, Shortsword Thrust/Vitals".
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
InexplicableVic

Wouldn’t all-out-attack mean no defenses next turn? I don’t understand making all-out-attack as part of a trademark move unless you’re a tank fighting mooks that can’t really hurt you. All-our attack fighting an ogre, for example, is a terrible idea. You might die if he punches your skull, let alone hammers away with a club.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Dammann

Yeah, I can’t see why you would rob a Swashbuckler of his active defenses- it’s like one of the two great things about swashbuckling. Maybe AoA(Double) followed by a targeted attack would be better.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Yeah, I can’t see why you would rob a Swashbuckler of his active defenses- it’s like one of the two great things about swashbuckling. Maybe AoA(Double) followed by a targeted attack would be better.
Because the OP thought he'd be getting four attacks in one round, thus it might just be worth it if the foe dies without ever being able to strike a blow itself.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
thedanster7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Because the OP thought he'd be getting four attacks in one round, thus it might just be worth it if the foe dies without ever being able to strike a blow itself.
It's not that, I just wondered whether I'd be able to tack two Trademark Moves together as a sort of finishing move.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanster7000 View Post
It's not that, I just wondered whether I'd be able to tack two Trademark Moves together as a sort of finishing move.
Sure, but then why All-Out Attack was the question, considering how a Swashbuckler tends to live or die by his defenses and All-Out Attack removes all your defenses.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote