Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #31
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Does Danger Sense allow Dodge against back attacks?

I'd absolutely allow a dodge vs. an attack from behind (or an invisible foe, or even another dimension) if the Per roll for Danger Sense succeeded. I even snuck mention of this into the text of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: "If it appears behind someone with Danger Sense, a successful Perception roll lets them dodge its touch at -2."

I don't think that invades the niche of Peripheral Vision excessively. On the defensive, Peripheral Vision doesn't require dice rolls to sense enemy attacks and works with parries and blocks, not just dodges. Wait, there's more! It works on the offensive, too, allowing attacks into side hexes and improving your arc of vision for ranged attacks. But that's not all! You also get that arc of vision for observation, and +3 on all rolls to detect Shadowing attempts, even if there's no danger at all.

Inasmuch as Danger Sense does impinge on Peripheral Vision a little (both allow dodges vs. attacks from behind), Peripheral Vision returns the favor: You get +3 to detect ambushes from behind, and a Vision roll to spot dangers "behind your back."

I'd say the two traits are very balanced with respect to one another.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #32
pierseb

Default Re: Does Danger Sense allow Dodge against back attacks?

When Danger Sense says " Success will give you enough of a warning that you can take action". What do we consider an action and what trigger Danger Sense?

If it's the actual situation, a surprise attack, someone sneaking behind you, someone taking aim out of sight... You may choose your maneuver with the knowledge of a successful DS perception roll.

If it's the actual attack action that triggers DS, on a successful DS perception roll, you only get to choose an action allowed by your current maneuver. Probably a defense dodge, or parry if able to do a successful Blind Fighting check. Are there cases you would be able to take an action that isn’t a defense? Without the -4 to defense from Mental Stun in case of surprise attack?

I think it’s probably the attack action that triggers DS. The first option could create a lot of weird cases.
pierseb is offline   Reply With Quote