Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Parry and Close combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I would use the biggest bonus, not stack them. But it is ambiguous in the rules, so you can go either way.
That's my take. Keeps Karate + Weaponmaster from double dipping.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #42
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I have houserules for this... they mostly boil down to "does this seem reasonable" (and borrow heavily from GURPS Martial Arts "Long Weapons in Close Combat" pg 117).
The Martial Arts book is such a great resource for Dungeon Fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
Is this actually in the rules, or just design intent?

This makes sense to me, although I haven't previously been able to parse it out in the rules (GURPS or DFRPG). My thoughts / pending houserule were more along the lines of a willpower check to push through to shock of being wounded and forcing yourself in anyway. High Pain Threshold could ignore this.

Mind you, a creature or person being properly wounded as they try to close and then carrying a, for example, -4 to hit from shock SHOULD probably actually cause that attacker to back off regardless of what the rules / houserules say. Unless they are known for being berserk / reckless.
What you're pointing at is also how many enemies in video games are repelled, countered or pushed-back.

However as Kromm explains in post #31, according to GURPS rules it's needed to make meaningful damage to achieve that, beyond shock.

On the other hand, rules don't dictate everything in your game session: if a NPC, monster or not, takes some damage for an attack, the GM role playing it can decide she retreats or refrains, let's say for a second. Perhaps she was overconfident and overcoming her defenses puzzles her, maybe she's concerned with poison in the blade, or now she needs room for insulting.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #43
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
However as Kromm explains in post #31, according to GURPS rules it's needed to make meaningful damage to achieve that, beyond shock.
It's technically possible to use a wait to Shove.

Tags
charging foes, close combat, knockback, kromm explanation