Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: [Low-tech] Charioteer loadouts and overloaded land vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Why is all that armor needed? The chariot is it's own corselet.
Do modern tank crew wear helmets and body armor?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Rasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The Dendra Panoply is definitely charioteer armour. More specifically, I'm convinced that it was worn by the driver, not the archer (Mycenaean chariots were archery platforms just like everyone else's at the time). Only drivers wore neck and full arm coverage.

The Mitanni wore armoured skirts called dutiwa but we don't know how far down the leg they reached. Most likely they stopped at the knee. In the Loadouts book they cover the knee but not shin.
I've chosen the wrong words. I've said that Dendra panoply isn't a "dedicated" charioteer armor not because it wasn't made for a charioteer (considering that Mycenaean nobility fought on chariots when it was possible, surely the wearer was a charioteer himself), but in the sense that is also functional for an infantryman.

I'm not sure about the functionality of an ankle-lenght dutiwa for a dismounted charioteer, but this length is the same of a lot of Tibetan lamellar armors which were worn by warriors on foot.

Last edited by Rasna; 06-26-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
but this length is the same of a lot of Tibetan lamellar armors which were worn by warriors on foot.
Most of the examples I've seen are knee length. The underlayers reach lower but the metal plates usually stop at the knee. They were worn by both infantry and cavalry; IMO the longest ones were meant for cavalry.

Last edited by DanHoward; 06-26-2019 at 07:45 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Do modern tank crew wear helmets and body armor?
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't wear body armor, but I don't know. I think they don't actually wear combat helmets, or at least some don't. They wear helmets designed to protect against banging your head on the many metal fixtures in the mobile metal box they fight inside.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #15
Rasna

Quote:
Most of the examples I've seen are knee length. The underlayers reach lower but the metal plates usually stop at the knee. They were worn by both infantry and cavalry; IMO the longest ones were meant for cavalry.
Yep. In GURPS terms, rigid armor covering the thighs or relatively heavy flexible armor covering past the thighs (ex. a Heavy Mail hauberk) means -1 DX for action involving legs. Ankle-lenght scale or lamellar armor seems to be usually a good choice for charioteers and cavalrymen and - depending on situation - mostly a bad choice for infantry, especially when mobility is required. Nevertheless, a lot of lamellar Tibetan infantry armors cover up to the knee or almost the entire leg and totally lack of shoulder guards or armored sleeves. Maybe the freedom of movement of arms was regarded by them as being tactically more relevant than leg mobility.

Last edited by Rasna; 06-29-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #16
DanHoward

I don't think there is any evidence for ankle-length armoured skirts. The longest ones stop just past the knees.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I don't think there is any evidence for ankle-length armoured skirts. The longest ones stop just past the knees.
Having tried out ankle length armored skirts... there are reasons for this. They are heavier, cumbersome, and tend to restrict movement, even if made to to give ample movement room. You also tend to get them under foot if they are actual ankle length.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote