Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Extra Sleep, Insomniac and Light Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Personally I always have trouble remembering which, out of Light Sleeper and Heavy Sleeper, is the disadvantageous one - in common parlance it would be the latter.
It's Deep Sleeper that's advantageous, and might be better named "Versatile Sleeper."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Extra Sleep, Insomniac and Light Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
In GURPS, consistent failure to get a full eight hours of sleep will eventually kill you unless you fail an unpenalised Will roll and aren't woken early.
That's simply an issue with how numerous and rather unrelated hazards are tied up in the single Fatigue stat.

But there is fatal familial insomnia, so it's not entirely absurd.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Pursuivant

Some years back I proposed a "Catsleep" advantage which combines the beneficial effects of the Light Sleeper advantage and the Deep Sleeper disad.

Basically, it allows you to wake up as needed by making a simple Per (or Purr?) roll and after the action is over go back to sleep by making a simple Will roll.

I agree that GURPS doesn't do a good job of modeling the effects of severe sleep deprivation (e.g., hallucinations) or chronic lack of sleep.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Deep Sleeper is supposed to be a perk not disadvantage.
Even if it were, Combat Reflexes completely negates the drawbacks.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, extra sleep, insomniac, light sleeper