Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Is TK better than Super-ST

I would allow Reflexive on TK, but it wouldn't remove the requirement to Concentrate to maintain it, for sure. What I'd let TK with Reflexive do is accomplish various TK tricks (catching an object thrown at you, blocking a charging foe, etc.) without previously activating TK by Concentrating on a previous round. If you wanted to keep holding on to or manipulating whatever you grabbed reflexively, you'd have to Concentrate on subsequent turns, though it would be valid to reflexively grab an arrow out of the air, for example, and immediately drop it. If you were in a situation where it was hard to concentrate (like being attacked in melee, for example), though, I'd call for a Will roll before you could activate TK reflexively, at the -4 that Reflexive suggests.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
smurf
Banned

TK follows normal lifting rules.

Work out BL and the levels: x2, x4, x6 and x8.

There is a time for lifting in Basic Set. TK will need reduced concentration multiple times to reduce it all the way up to the 'max'.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

When does Super TK become useful though? As the rules stand, Super TK increase lift (+400%) or damage (+900%), but it does not increase both. In order to have the same effect as ST 20 plus Super ST 10 [500 CP total], a TK super would need TK 20 plus Super TK 10 (Super-Effort, +400%; Super Damage, +900%) [800 CP total]. Considering that unmodified TK 120 costs 600 CP, I am not sure if Super TK makes that much sense.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #14
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
When does Super TK become useful though? As the rules stand, Super TK increase lift (+400%) or damage (+900%), but it does not increase both. In order to have the same effect as ST 20 plus Super ST 10 [500 CP total], a TK super would need TK 20 plus Super TK 10 (Super-Effort, +400%; Super Damage, +900%) [800 CP total]. Considering that unmodified TK 120 costs 600 CP, I am not sure if Super TK makes that much sense.
The need to buy ST up to 20 before getting super ST is a GM ruling, one that I tend to ignore for most games. When I was making a superman type character I actually bought DOWN ST to 5 and then bought 15 levels of super ST, this gave the character an ST of 20/705 for less than 600cp.

With TK I bought Compartmentalized mind with No Mental Separation. So you can use it every turn and still attack.

So assuming a total of around 500cp to spend for both:

ST +11/+150 (Cosmic Reduced FP cost, +70%, Super-Effort, +300%; PM ,-10%) [506]

TK 9/70 (Super-Damage, +900$; Cosmic Reduced FP cost, +70%; PM ,-10%) [477]
+ Compartmentalized mind (No Mental Separation, -20%; PM, -10%) [35]

Super ST gets us ST 21/160 for 506cp, never have to spend FP to use Super ST.

TK is 9/70, can be used up to range of 10 yards, and never have to spend FP to use Super TK.

TK is "weaker" but you can use it at range, and for various things (like flying).

ST is "Stronger" but no range, no flight. You can (If GM is using that jumping rule) use the ST 160 for jumping.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

You can use TK and attack with it during the same turn (you just have to have a ready weapon). For example, on your turn, you could Concentrate and, while you Concentrate, your TK could dual fast draw two knives and dual throw them at your TK ST since it acts like a pair of arms during the same turn. If you want to defend, however, Compartmentalized Mind is a good idea.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote