Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: chariot combat

One of the classic risky maneuvers is to tie the reins through your belt and lean this way or that to pull on them. A critical failure on Teamster can result in your being pulled out of the chariot and dragged over the ground.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 AM   #12
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I've collected the best studies and written a chapter on chariot warfare and the transition to cavalry in my book.
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Bron...uipment/p/3272
Very cool!

David W. Anthony in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horse,_the_Wheel,_and_Language points out that you could get more power into throwing a javelin from a chariot, compared to horseback, because you can bring your lower-body strength to bear. (Also, a horse pulling a good chariot is faster than one carrying the equivalent weight.)
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Phil Masters

I seem to recall reading that Chinese generals continued riding chariots remarkably late -- apparently as mobile command posts. Which makes sense; you can see over the heads of your infantry, yell commands, and wave your banner and be seen in a morale-enhancing way, without any of that tiring horse management stuff.

Use of scythed chariots to disrupt enemy phalanxes in the Hellenistic period doesn't seem to have worked terribly well. But it was tried.

If chariots were still popular despite horses being rideable at the time, I assume that insufficiently developed horse tack was part of the issue.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote