Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: DF nymphs in banestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Reaction bonuses are worth their cost just for the bonus to influence rolls, it's basically a 6 skill talent.
At best, that's only true if you use them that way and build accordingly, as opposed to expecting their face value to function as advertised.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Reaction bonuses are worth their cost just for the bonus to influence rolls, it's basically a 6 skill talent.
That wasn't as consistent in 3e, and still only works if the NPCs have non-fixed reactions. Getting a "Good" result is meaningless if they are going to do whatever they were going to do anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That wasn't as consistent in 3e, and still only works if the NPCs have non-fixed reactions. Getting a "Good" result is meaningless if they are going to do whatever they were going to do anyway.
Well, unlike reaction rolls, you aren't supposed to just ignore influence rolls (though I'd generally use the Influencing the PCs rule for major NPCs as well).
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Well, unlike reaction rolls, you aren't supposed to just ignore influence rolls (though I'd generally use the Influencing the PCs rule for major NPCs as well).
Influence rolls are only useful if you have the opportunity to use them. If nearly every NPC starts out either too hostile to listen, or too helpful to improve, you aren't going to get any benefit.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #35
Anthony

True, being good at anything is only useful if it actually comes up in the game.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #36
draxdeveloper

Quote:
True, being good at anything is only useful if it actually comes up in the game.
To me, is part of the GM job make the players strengths useful in a game. If the GM thinks that something REALLY can't be used or will ruin the adventure, then he could just say this to the player.
"look i will not use languages, so you could use those points in other stuff"
But to me the players sheets should be a guide to what the players want in the adventure.
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #37
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Charisma 5 is, if not outright over the top, really pushing it on a human I would think.
Charisma 5 is possible, just rather rare:
Quote:
From GURPS Who’s Who 1&2 and Age of Napoleon:

Charisma

• +1: Aaron Burr Jr., Albert Einstein, Attila the Hun, Captain James Cook, Catherine di Medici, Chinggis Khan (“Genghis Khan”), Colquhoun Grant, Ernest Hemingway, Erwin Rommel, Eugene de Beauharnais, George Armstrong Custer, Germaine de Stael, Hannibal, Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, John Wesly Hardin, Julius Caesar, Leif Eriksson, Matteo Ricci, Oda Nobunga, Pierre-Andre Suffren, Richard III, Richard E.Byrd, Samuel de Champlain, Sir Richard Burton, Sir Winston Chuchill, Suleyman (Suleiman) the Magnificent, William Shakespeare.
  • +2: Alexius I (Alexius Comnenus), Bartholomew Roberts, Catherine the Great, Charles “Lucky” Luciano, Cheng Shih, Christopher Columbus, Cyrus the Great, Elizabeth I, George Washington, Granuaile (Grace O’Malley), Harriet Tubman, Harry Houdini, Justinian I, King David Ben-jesse, Le Comte de Saint-Germaine, Li Po, Lola Montez, Lord Byron, Marco Polo, Maximilien Robespierre, Michel Ney, Nebuchadrezzar II (Nabu-kudurri-usur), Ninon de Lanclos, Nzinga, Robert Clive (Clive of India), Stephen Decatur, St. Augustine of Hippo, Shield Jaguar Lord (“Itsin Balam Ahau”), William Pitt the Younger.
  • +3: Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington), Boudica, Cleopatra, Constantine the Great, Horatio Nelson, Napoleon Bonoparte, Rodrigo Diaz (El Cid), Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt
  • +4: Alexander the Great, Hernan Cortes,
  • +5: Joan of Arc
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote