Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Mailanka

Default Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Alright, not really, or at least not yet, but this year I'm planning on putting out one GURPS post a week, every Wednesday. I've been working last year to create the material I wanted to show off, and the results are in this year.

I have the announcement up here, including the topics I'll be tackling. I understand that it's permissible to advertise your blog here, provided it has GURPS content. I hope that noting that something will shortly have GURPS content is also acceptable. The first post is already scheduled, and the first four are already written. I wanted to reserve my digital space here, as well as make the announcement.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers Who Blog Too Much! Your decoder ring is in the mail. :-D

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Looking forward to the Galactic Frontier stuff, but a bit wary of TL being all the way at the top.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers Who Blog Too Much! Your decoder ring is in the mail. :-D
If I'm honest, you and Douglas Cole were probably my inspirations for doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Looking forward to the Galactic Frontier stuff, but a bit wary of TL being all the way at the top.
I initially started that project at TL 11, but TL 12 is just so full of everything you expect out of the typical, handwavy space-opera sci-fi that I just had to use it ("He's wounded!" "Shine a medical beam on him, he'll be fine." "It's broken!" "Wave a repairing beam over it! It'll be fine!").

One of the things that popped out of my work there is that TL 12 is ultimately the catch all "More advanced than TL 11" stuff, so everything from slightly more advanced (gamma-ray lasers) to ridiculous (tachyon shotguns) get lumped into one TL, so I discuss how to approach the tech level without having the sense that you're "at the end of science."
Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
"He's wounded!" "Shine a medical beam on him, he'll be fine."
That's exactly why I'm wary. With TL12 weapons, people are more likely to be pink mist than wounded. Particularly the unarmoured types like Han Solo or lightly armoured ones like Commander Shepard. Unless you nerf the weapons TL to less than 12 due to also having such worries.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
If I'm honest, you and Douglas Cole were probably my inspirations for doing this.
Naw. You got that backward. You guys inspire us. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Higher TL combat can be mildly dangerous I've noticed . . . . last session 2 PCs duked it out (or rather, shamelessly ambushed) 8 enemies of fairly good caliber, at TL 9-11 (various)

6 of 8 enemies died in the surprise round, one of the two surviving enemies in the first real round of combat lived long enough to attack and wounded near to death check one of the party members (39 damage after all mods, when 40 was needed for death check), before being slaughterized by her counter

Everyone that took a hit was wearing a commando battlesuit (and the PC also had a riot shield)

Pretty much . . . armor helps immensely vs things that cannot crack armor, and forces people to use attacks which CAN crack armor, but those attacks which can crack armor can still kill you very dead.

But usually the armor cracking attacks tend to have other drawbacks, 40mm grenade launchers flinging HEMP or HEAT are effective armor crackers, but have low ammo capacity and short ranges and low acc and such
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Kalzazz

As a note, I've heard so many awesome things about CBR I am certainly interested in seeing more of it
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's exactly why I'm wary. With TL12 weapons, people are more likely to be pink mist than wounded. Particularly the unarmoured types like Han Solo or lightly armoured ones like Commander Shepard. Unless you nerf the weapons TL to less than 12 due to also having such worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Higher TL combat can be mildly dangerous I've noticed . . . . last session 2 PCs duked it out (or rather, shamelessly ambushed) 8 enemies of fairly good caliber, at TL 9-11 (various)
As you'll note in the coming months, I'm a big fan of not just working something out in theory, but doing at least a basic test on it to see how things play out. There are a variety of ways to tackle ultra-tech combat, but most of them end up being as dangerous as, or slightly less dangerous than, modern combat, with the exception of disintegrators, which are just stupid weapons unless you grasp their cosmic nature and surround them with equally stupid forms of armor and force fields, but that runs into another problem. But I have an entire article that actually touches on this and similar problems (which came up a lot in ship combat, of all things, and when I was tinkering with an attempt at GURPS Transformers, which I may yet finish). So I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Suffice it to say, I have lots and lots of word count surrounding Ultra-Tech, it's strengths and its weaknesses.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #10
Mailanka

My inaugural post is up, so please pardon the soap box as I discuss why you should create your own setting instead of convert one that already exists.

And I wanted to thank you guys for your warm response, and let you know that from now on, I'll be posting on Thursday, in keeping with Douglas Cole's "GURPS Day."

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack