Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
MiB1213

Default Jag Fairchild Delvers to Go

I printed out Jag Fairchild just now for a player and read it for the first time. In the design notes it says that 3 Quirks were sold back for more starting cash. But it seems to still show 5 in the character information:
Equal opportunity lecher -1
Lies for innocent fun - not compulsively -1
Loves to spread rumors of his awesomeness -1
Prefers spells for stealth an observation, song of command to affect minds -1
Sneaks whether it’s necessary or not -1
Is there something in the character I missed that gives him the quirks.
Also wouldn’t one have been used for his Power Item?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Pseudonym

Default Re: Jag Fairchild Delvers to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
I printed out Jag Fairchild just now for a player and read it for the first time. In the design notes it says that 3 Quirks were sold back for more starting cash. But it seems to still show 5 in the character information:
Equal opportunity lecher -1
Lies for innocent fun - not compulsively -1
Loves to spread rumors of his awesomeness -1
Prefers spells for stealth an observation, song of command to affect minds -1
Sneaks whether it’s necessary or not -1
Is there something in the character I missed that gives him the quirks.
Also wouldn’t one have been used for his Power Item?
By "sell back" it means that he traded 3 points he would have got from quirks for $1,500. He also has Wealth. This all adds up:
$1000 normal starting cash
+$1000 for comfortable wealth
+$1500 for selling points =
$3500

The same note box says what he spends the points on from the other two quirks (fast-draw (knife) and signature gear)

All characters get up to 5 quirks.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quirks don't "go away" if you use them for extra money. The way it works is like this:
  • Your professional template is worth 250 points. You're at 250 points when you've selected a template and made all the choices it offers.

• A full load of quirks is worth -5 points. You're at 245 points after you've defined five.

• The standard power level is 250 points, so you have 5 points to spend at this stage. Each point spent on abilities adds 1 point to your total, while points traded for money do not. So your options are being worth 245 points and trading 5 points for +$2,500, 246 points and trading 4 points for +$2,000, 247 points and trading 3 points for +$1,500, 248 points and trading 2 points for +$1,000, 249 points and trading 1 point for +$500, or 250 points and having no extra money. No matter which choice you make, you'll have five quirks.

• How much money you end up with depends also on Wealth. Add the amount from your Wealth level to any extra money.
Jag is worth 247 points, which means he traded 3 of the 5 points generated by his five quirks for +$1,500. This adds to the $2,000 for a Wealth of Comfortable, whence his $3,500 in gear.

Power items have nothing to do with quirks. Everybody who can cast spells gets a power item "for free." It's generally just the most expensive piece of gear the character owns, in Jag's case his shortsword, but it can be any article the player likes. It's common to save one of the points that quirks generate to "insure" one's power item with Signature Gear [1], but that's optional.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Note that that unless something has changed, if you are using GCA to check if the totals are correct the software does this incorrectly and counts points spent on money towards your total.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
MiB1213

Another question regarding a character in Delvers to Go.
The quarterstaff that "Uncle Seamus" has. Can you please explain how you arrived at the total value?
Adventurers pg 118 has the price for a wizard staff at $40, a quarter staff is listed to be $10. Making an weapon fine adds a CF of +2 but when you find the total value of a item that is made fine it would be (1+2CF)x10. for a regular quarterstaff which is only $30; the wizard staff at fine would be (1+2)x40 which is 120. So I'm confused as how it became $60.
Also where did you get the value of the crystal ball that's shown as $475?

This may seem petty but it's bothering the heck out of me that I cannot figure out the silly math.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Anthony

A wizard staff is a staff (costs whatever a staff costs) plus a $30 enchantment, so he's paying $30 for a fine staff, and $30 for a staff enchantment, for a total of $60.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A wizard staff is a staff (costs whatever a staff costs) plus a $30 enchantment, so he's paying $30 for a fine staff, and $30 for a staff enchantment, for a total of $60.

Well that makes sense. Thanks. Now is the rest of the cost something they arbitrarily decided or is there somewhere in the books a way to calculate the value of jewelry, etc that is attached? I want to know where they got the 475 figure from so I can understand how they say it has 6FP
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Well that makes sense. Thanks. Now is the rest of the cost something they arbitrarily decided or is there somewhere in the books a way to calculate the value of jewelry, etc that is attached? I want to know where they got the 475 figure from so I can understand how they say it has 6FP
There must be a hidden discount somewhere, as normally 475 would hold 5 fp, is it attached to something else worth $20 or so? In any case, jewelry is basically available in arbitrary values, so you just pick a value that is suitable for your item of power.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
According to Adventurers, p. 115, "You can then add value by declaring the article to be bejeweled, antique, etc.; just pay extra when you buy it. . . . You must add value or buy jewelry in $25 increments." Since magical properties don't count as part of the value, the staff value as a power item is $30 (staff) + $475 (crystal ball) = $505. If the crystal ball had been worth $450 ("$25 increments"), it wouldn't have made it over the $490 threshold to be a six-point power item, so $475 was the minimum value of bejewelling that would achieve that goal. The fact that it is a crystal ball is just a special effect. It could just as easily have $475-worth of other jewels, or a gold cherub, or silver filigree, etc.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Adorned power items are 100% legit. To understand them, remember three things, all stated clearly in Power Items (Adventurers, p. 115):
  1. The maximum FP a power item can hold depends on its cash value solely as a nonmagical object. The price of magical properties never counts toward power item value!

2. You can add value by declaring the article to be bejeweled, antique, etc.; just pay extra when you buy it. Alternatively, purchase jewelry and designate that as your power item. You must add value or buy jewelry in $25 increments.

3. For in-between values, use the next-highest amount.
Uncle Seamus has a fine quarterstaff with adornments. A quarterstaff costs $10 (Adventurers, p. 102), but the "fine" weapon modifier applied to a crushing-only melee weapon gives +2 CF (Adventurers, p. 106), so the staff itself is worth $10 × (1 + 2) = $30. He has it enchanted as a magic staff, which per Magic Staffs (Spells, p. 9) costs $30 and is considered magic, so it explicitly doesn't count toward power item value. He wants to reach the 6 FP level, which means he needs mundane value greater than $490 but no more than $670. Like any good munchkin, that means he's aiming at $491 (to barely qualify for the "next-highest amount") minus $30 (price of a fine staff), or $461. However, he must add value in $25 increments, so $450 won't cut it and he must pay $475. Total cost is $30 (fine staff) + $30 (enchantment) + $475 (adornments).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg