Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Wayne

Default Zipped Files

Hi,

Can I please request on future releases that you don't use colons in the folder names?

FIRST WAVE 9:19:18
SECOND WAVE 9:25:18

The colon is a directory separator on MacOS and although the Finder will cope and represent them as a / some utilities will still read them as a ":" and it may cause problems.

I'd also prefer Australian date format but I realise I'm pushing my luck there :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
CJM

Default Re: Zipped Files

I can't get the second wave to open. The destination file could not be created? I'm not a computer wiz, so am I doing something wrong? Didn't have any problem on the first wave.
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Skarg

I had that problem too, I think because I had been reading the previous beta zip by just clicking on it, and the new zip has similar folders, so I think the operating system's built-in way of handling zip files may be getting confused and not wanting to overwrite the previous files. By extracting or copying the new contents to a different location on your computer, I think you may get around that problem. That worked for me, anyway.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
CJM

Thanks Much! I'll give it a try:-)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
CJM

Skarg,
Thanks again it worked.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
XRaysVision

I just didn't see the sense in Zipping them. They're relatively small for any sort of storage or transmission these days. It's a pain for those of us with MacOS and iOS.

Or, was this a just part of the nostalgia; recalling the days of 300 baud acoustic couplers and Compuserve?

No, seriously, don't Zip them...
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
I just didn't see the sense in Zipping them.

No, seriously, don't Zip them...
It does make sense, in that it's only one file to download. So a lot less clicks but there is negligible space saving.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
It does make sense, in that it's only one file to download.
Agreed. One file is a lot easier for me (personally), than tracking several different files.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
brandonm
Cybernetic Overlord, Protector of the Fairness, Ebliberator of Stealage & Grand Purveyor of Laser Cats

I recently updated the zip file this morning to address these concerns with folder names and strip out some extraneous junk that macOS adds to compressed files.

There have been reports that on Windows 10 machines, you might be downloading the file into a protected folder and the file won't open properly. The solution is to download it and uncompress it inside an unprotected folder.

If anyone is still have an issue uncompressing the file please write us at kickstart@sjgames.com with a description of your issue as well as what OS and compression application you are using to uncompress the file.

Thanks! -Brandon
brandonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
Or, was this a just part of the nostalgia; recalling the days of 300 baud acoustic couplers and Compuserve?
Oh, in that case it's be a flat text file and you'd rely on XMODEM-1K or ZMODEM, with the forums full of arguments as to which of those were faster next to the complaints that they weren't supporting Compuserve B, along with the arguments as to whether MNP5 or V.42bis resulted in faster data transfers.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote