Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
tbug

Default Environment Rules

Are there environment rules anywhere, particularly concerning vessels? I'm thinking that my PCs might end up in Antarctica.
tbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Andygal

Default Re: Environment Rules

AFAIK Vessels are at least nearly immune to extremes of hot or cold weather. Unfortunately I don't have any page references or other references to support that, although I vaguely recall something in the FAQ.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
tbug

Aha! You're right! Thanks. :) The FAQ says:
Quote:
As a rule-of-thumb, celestials are unaffected by temperature down to freezing and up to 100F or thereabouts. Beyond that range they have reduced sensitivity when compared to humans. They can feel the temperature, but it doesn't particularly damage them - they don't get heatstroke, or suffer true chills.
So Celestials in Antarctica will have "reduced sensitivity", meaning that it's uncomfortable but with no game effect (I think). I bet their equipment won't work as well, though. :)
tbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
Aha! You're right! Thanks. :) The FAQ says:

So Celestials in Antarctica will have "reduced sensitivity", meaning that it's uncomfortable but with no game effect (I think). I bet their equipment won't work as well, though. :)
LOL. Well, I suppose you could always include a Servitor of Eli or Andre in the group, by way of experiment. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 04-06-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
JCD

I would say that it would be reduced effects. There is a vast difference between 32 degrees and -50 F.

That said, if the Celestial had ANY protective equipment, they should be largely uneffected. A night in a parka will kill a human. A Celestial will wish he were dead...but remain largely effective. A naked Celestial would die.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
cptbutton

Will Servitors of Gabriel or Belial have have more adverse effects in deep cold, or less?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Will Servitors of Gabriel or Belial have have more adverse effects in deep cold, or less?

I actually thought of that, since I'm playing a Servant of Belial.

It makes no sense for Belialite Demons or Gabby's Gosslings to be weaker then any other angel. BUT...they probably would be a LOT less happy, which is more of a RP phenomena.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

One thing to point out, though, is that while a vessel is probably unaffected by hypothermia, its flesh should probably be somewhat vulnerable to actual freezing, since the formation of ice crystals would inflict physical trauma to the flesh of the vessel.
Of course, a vessel will be far less vulnerable to frostbite than a human body would be, since a large contributor to frostbite is the blood leaving the extremities to keep the internal organs warm, leaving the extremities without a heat source. Vessels presumably wouldn't have that response. But if it was cold enough, the flesh could chill faster than the vessel could warm it back up, and freezing would result. The most extreme example of this would be something like dipping a vessel's hand into liquid nitrogen, but I'd say that if an angel was walking about with bare hands in temperatures of -200 degrees F with the wind chill, they'll eventually lose fingers.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Belial's would probably be more uncomfortable, if nothing else because a lot of their powers rely on physical heat sources to work properly. Gabriel's angels are a bit less dependent on external flames, and would thus be less concerned, and her Ofanim would probably be totally unconcerned - the Ofanite's attunement prevents them from risking any damage from cold at all!
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
One thing to point out, though, is that while a vessel is probably unaffected by hypothermia, its flesh should probably be somewhat vulnerable to actual freezing, since the formation of ice crystals would inflict physical trauma to the flesh of the vessel.[...] The most extreme example of this would be something like dipping a vessel's hand into liquid nitrogen, but I'd say that if an angel was walking about with bare hands in temperatures of -200 degrees F with the wind chill, they'll eventually lose fingers.
Yes, this is how I would rule. Texas heat -- or even being stuck in a hot car trunk or something -- is one thing. Winter chill is one thing. Ice crystals forming in the water in your cells? That's kinda another thing, and that other thing can lead to lost Body Hits.

Tags
rules