Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
sieurin

Default Re: Some questions about the Soldier skill

It doesn't seem to be the more social parts of being a professional military man, though - that's presumably Savoir-Faire (Military)...?

Also I seem to remember one rule somewhere saying something to do with packing (I think) could be handled with either a Soldier or IQ-based Hiking roll... I don't remember more, sorry!

Erik
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
What skills would Soldier cover?
It's fairly well described in the Basic Set, IMO. Perhaps you should re-read what it says? Basically, though it's the skill of general soldiering, not MOS-specific knowledge. If it's basic knowledge that all troops pouges and grunts alike are expected to share, then Soldier covers it.
Quote:
For setting' sake assume the TL is between 7-11; no swords or tourniquets but no need for military-grade disintegrator skill either.
It should cover tourniquets, I'd think. IMO TL7-11 Soldiers have basic first aid (enough to stop bleeding, but not heal hit points), can do a fireman's carry, prepare field rations, talk on (but not program) a radio (or other standard comm gear), do basic weapon maintenance (but not anything that requires armory), pack their gear, do PCCs (Pre-Combat Checks) and PCIs (Pre-Combat Inspections), operate assigned equipment in it's most basic functions (I'd let Soldier operate a Blue Force Tracker for basic navigation and messaging for example) and so on.
Quote:
I only ask because of niggling little skill-sets beyond 'Guns (Military Rifle)' is an obvious skill-use but Club (Butt-stock) wouldn't occur to me immediately.
Neither of these are included. Soldier specifically doesn't include weapon skills.
Quote:
Also, would a Mercenary skill be better represented;
I wouldn't give most organized mercs a different skill. They'll have Soldier. The big difference is that Savior-Faire( Military) probably takes much narrower Cultural Familiarity penalties (much like Savior-Faire(Dojo) does for styles) than most other social skills.
Quote:
As a skill like Solder.
It should be Soldier, IMO. Blackwater cleans their M16s and operates their radios the same as everybody else.
Quote:
As a Talent geared towards Merc-handy skills.
"Mercenary Talent" isn't a believable in-born trait, IMO. Something like Born Soldier, though or Born War Leader should work fine for Mercenaries.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
gjc8

I'd think that Soldier/TL3 also covers some rough and ready disease avoidance techniques. Avoiding disease and infection is pretty much the key survival skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
do basic weapon maintenance
Is this Soldier? I thought basic weapon maintenance fell under the appropriate Weapon skill (though IQ-based).
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Is this Soldier? I thought basic weapon maintenance fell under the appropriate Weapon skill (though IQ-based).
Sure, for basic maintenance (e.g. a +4 TDM is appropriate) the description specifically mentions stripping a weapon.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
SithiR

Similarly "Sailor" can help in planning how to (re)take a ship. An assaulter who knows "Sailor" will know that if sailors smoke, they tend to throw cigarettes off the taffrail in a direction opposite the wind direction, and will tend to face that way, and will tend to loose night vision when they do so, and will do at predictable changes of watch.
SithiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
Ubiquitous

Quote:
It's fairly well described in the Basic Set, IMO. Perhaps you should re-read what it says? Basically, though it's the skill of general soldiering, not MOS-specific knowledge. If it's basic knowledge that all troops pouges and grunts alike are expected to share, then Soldier covers it.
Yeah, but think about how vague that kinda sounds. I knew it involved Foxhole digging and stuff; a skill you'd use for operating and performing Soldierly actions was how I remembered it. Which was why I thought it would apply to combat skills (Honestly, I'd say you're a construction worker with good disciplinary skills if you dig foxholes but don't fight wars). I mean, within reason; I'm not saying Soldier should cover EVERY weapon but I guess what I'm basically saying is that it should replace the default to a lot more. It does seem a bit more catch-all like that, but in my opinion that's basically what it looks like anyway as a skill. Maybe up the skill to Hard to cover that, I'unno.

And anyway I knew this forum has a lot of military buffs; I thought I'd pop the question to get the more esoteric bits outta them, not just what was in the book.

Quote:
It should be Soldier, IMO. Blackwater cleans their M16s and operates their radios the same as everybody else.
"Mercenary Talent" isn't a believable in-born trait, IMO. Something like Born Soldier, though or Born War Leader should work fine for Mercenaries.
I do like this idea, but it raises a question.

How come Soldier is a stand-alone skill, not a Talent or such? How come Paramedic or Volunteer Fireman, people with broad-reaching but specific skillsets aren't included?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #17
Cybren

it's a skill of "the assorted non shooting people up stuff you learn in bootcamp"
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
it's a skill of "the assorted non shooting people up stuff you learn in bootcamp"
That sounds so boring though...total waste of the word 'Soldier'.

Also, if that's the case, then how come Paramedics and Volunteer Fireman (I'm tryin' to think of other such professions) don't get their own skill? What makes Soldier so different from Savoir Faire (Military), in regards to knowing how to do this stuff; it seems so over-specified to have a skill tailored to these specific things. Savoir Faire (Military) folks, either because they served or researched it, seem as likely to know these little details, since the skill's Average it seems like it's picked up fairly easily. I know Savoir Faire, in spirit, is knowing how to ACT around the Military clique but it seems like the two would overlap if you just want the know-how...
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Yeah, but think about how vague that kinda sounds. I knew it involved Foxhole digging and stuff; a skill you'd use for operating and performing Soldierly actions was how I remembered it. Which was why I thought it would apply to combat skills (Honestly, I'd say you're a construction worker with good disciplinary skills if you dig foxholes but don't fight wars). I mean, within reason; I'm not saying Soldier should cover EVERY weapon but I guess what I'm basically saying is that it should replace the default to a lot more. It does seem a bit more catch-all like that, but in my opinion that's basically what it looks like anyway as a skill.
Only if you stop at the name and never read the description.

Quote:
I do like this idea, but it raises a question.

How come Soldier is a stand-alone skill, not a Talent or such?
Why would it be a Talent?

Quote:
How come Paramedic or Volunteer Fireman, people with broad-reaching but specific skillsets aren't included?
Soldier was actually the first of the Professional Skills. The only reason why it is listed separately is because it is the PS player characters are most likely to have and need. The skill for Fireman is Professional Skill: Fireman. It's what you roll against to figure out how to avoid killing yourself in a burning building. Paramedics can probably get by with First Aid and Driving although most of them have a bit of Physician.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Only if you stop at the name and never read the description.
I meant the way you described it.

Quote:
Why would it be a Talent?
Because it covers a broad range of skills? It just seems odd to put so many skills, regardless of specialty, into a bigger encompassing-skill. It makes sense I guess, but it seems a little odd to me.

Quote:
Soldier was actually the first of the Professional Skills. The only reason why it is listed separately is because it is the PS player characters are most likely to have and need. The skill for Fireman is Professional Skill: Fireman. It's what you roll against to figure out how to avoid killing yourself in a burning building. Paramedics can probably get by with First Aid and Driving although most of them have a bit of Physician.
Makes sense, although there hasn't been a suppliment or something that's listed a few alternative Professional skills? GURPS: Average Joe or something?

Tags
kromm explanation, soldier