Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default How do I endure 2,000 degrees?

If a character, besides being able to function like humans do, is able to endure temperatures of 2,000 degrees both inside and out, what traits does it need? To give some examples:
* Have a body temperature of 2,000 degrees
* Touching something that is 2,000 degrees
* Being in an environment that has an ambient temperature of 2,000 degrees
* Fires of a temperature of 2,000 degrees does no damage
Old 01-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: How do I endure 2,000 degrees?

Temperature Tolerance and DR.
Or you can replace the Temperature Tolerance with a Feature if they cant stand colder temperatures.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Temperature Tolerance and DR.
Or you can replace the Temperature Tolerance with a Feature if they cant stand colder temperatures.
I believe the canonical way to do this is to buy Temperature Tolerance as usual, but to buy it only for hotter temperatures. You're allowed to distribute your extra HT degrees as you choose between higher and lower temperatures, so that's a perfectly legal option. It would cost 191 points for an average person, so buying it for 1 point is much too cheap, I think!

I believe you need some other traits to withstand having your body temperature raised, and perhaps being in a fire.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Gurps gives characters a default temperature range of 55 degrees F. Where you put that range is a feature. If you want to make it 1975-2030 degrees F, then that's fine.
It only gets expensive when you want that character to also handle standard Earth temperatures.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I believe the canonical way to do this is to buy Temperature Tolerance as usual, but to buy it only for hotter temperatures. You're allowed to distribute your extra HT degrees as you choose between higher and lower temperatures, so that's a perfectly legal option. It would cost 191 points for an average person, so buying it for 1 point is much too cheap, I think!

I believe you need some other traits to withstand having your body temperature raised, and perhaps being in a fire.
I didnt say it cost 1 point.
If you can olny live at that 2000 degrees it is a feature, but otherwise you buy it up enough to han;d the temp range desired. Since that also depends on HT as well as other things the op did not specify I did not bother with the math.
That covers ambient heat.
For Fire or touching hot things without damage you need DR.
Probably also a form of Does not Breathe, Nictating Membrane or a force field but that depends on other factors/goals.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Gurps gives characters a default temperature range of 55 degrees F. Where you put that range is a feature. If you want to make it 1975-2030 degrees F, then that's fine.
It only gets expensive when you want that character to also handle standard Earth temperatures.
GURPS Powers: The Weird provides a model for rescaling it according to your native temperature. If, for example, you use liquid hydrogen as your solvent, 55°F is a wider range than the difference between the melting and boiling points; you need to narrow it down to have it fit the physics.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
starslayer

Cosmic modular ability: Redefine native temperature (+physical, one trait) Ten points.

So long as you are only gradually changing your temperature you can keep up with the changes so long as you are concentrating.

You probably want a ten points or so in temperature tolerance to extend that gradient.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I didnt say it cost 1 point.
Sorry, no, you didn't. I read "feature" and my brain turned it into "perk."

Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
GURPS Powers: The Weird provides a model for rescaling it according to your native temperature. If, for example, you use liquid hydrogen as your solvent, 55°F is a wider range than the difference between the melting and boiling points; you need to narrow it down to have it fit the physics.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that rescaling suggestion. Though for those not having that supplement, the original source of that rule referenced in The Weird is another supplement; Underground Adventures.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Anthony

Temperature tolerance doesn't clearly specify that it applies to internal temperature, though it also doesn't state otherwise. There's also a problem that the temperature of sources of burning damage is by default undefined, and the effects of your tolerance range overlapping is also undefined.