Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Zombie Template

When throwing some dices as per the invention rules (p. 473 Campaigns and p. 17 Biotech) some results messed up big, so I concluded that the bioengineered virus turned up to be a high infectivity species-jumping contagious germ (is it fine for a critical failure?) which apart from granting the intended "supersoldier" upgrades turned their hosts into bestial predatory maniacs (a.k.a. zombies).

Is this template good enough? What would you change?

https://www.docdroid.net/bWi7tk6/ave...y-infected.pdf
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: Zombie Template

First reaction: Way too smart. Your average zombie is smarter than your average human. The disadvantages help alleviate that, but there's a reason why Basic says the GM may limit Bestial to PCs of IQ 10 or less, or even 6 or less.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
First reaction: Way too smart. Your average zombie is smarter than your average human. The disadvantages help alleviate that, but there's a reason why Basic says the GM may limit Bestial to PCs of IQ 10 or less, or even 6 or less.
I proceeded to check into Basic and this is what it says:

"Bestial is not necessarily tied to low IQ, but roleplaying a character who is both Bestial and remarkably intelligent would be a major challenge requiring a lot of thought and effort. The GM may therefore choose to restrict Bestial to characters with IQ scores under 10 (or even under 6!), or simply reserve it for NPCs."

In addition, I considered to lower the IQ (at first I brought the template down to IQ-6), but since the starting goal was to raise the average IQ (in order to make better soldiers) and apart from Berserk I can only opt to six minor disadvantages and three major ones, and every IQ-1 would probably count for a major disadvantage, I was not able to do it, so I proceeded to check into the best fitting disadvantages according to "Zombies" and some lectures of brain segmentation, coming out with Cannot Speak, Hidebound, Low Empathy and No Sense of Humor.

The deductions from the previous paragraph makes the infected better than average people in overall, but worsen their creativity and social regions of the brain (posterior superior temporal sulcus and the adjacent temporo-parietal junction, the amygdala, the temporal poles, the medial prefrontal cortex and the adjacent anterior cingulate cortex, etc.).
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Yes, I do not buy that the average zombie would be smarter than the average human. You should also replace the Acute Senses with increased Per because it is otherwise an inefficient template. Templates, like abilities, should follow ABC.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Yes, I do not buy that the average zombie would be smarter than the average human. You should also replace the Acute Senses with increased Per because it is otherwise an inefficient template. Templates, like abilities, should follow ABC.
Thank you and done. I set it up with Acute Senses because that is what Biotech allowed me to improve, but since Per+1 equals to Acute Senses+1 in each of those three, and it allows me to raise Tracking easier, I am going for the increased perception. As said they turn to be "upgraded humans" just that they are maniacs with uncontrollable murderous and feeding instincts too, otherwise they could not best an average predator like a wolf or a tiger, so since they are much slower they have to rely on their higher IQ.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You can compare to the I am Legend film if you like :)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, so are you embracing "this is a movie zombie", or are you trying to embrace "super soldier with zombie-like features"? It seems that you're stuck somewhere between the two and the template suffers for it.

Having both Numb and sensory upgrades is weird. Why did they improve all senses except for touch?

No sense of humor feels out of place once you have uncontrollable appetite, low empathy, and Bestial.

Cannot speak and Disturbing voice are an odd combination.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The lower level of Cannot Speak still allows sounds, just not a complete language. By adding Disturbing Voice, you end up with sounds so weird the standard reactions are to either run away or open fire.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, so are you embracing "this is a movie zombie", or are you trying to embrace "super soldier with zombie-like features"? It seems that you're stuck somewhere between the two and the template suffers for it.

Having both Numb and sensory upgrades is weird. Why did they improve all senses except for touch?

No sense of humor feels out of place once you have uncontrollable appetite, low empathy, and Bestial.

I added Numb as related to High Pain Threshold, maybe as to represent the destruction of some links with the peripheral nervous system. The other senses need to be upgraded in order to turn them into competent predators, and Biotech allows me to do it, otherwise they would end dead since they are currently living beings and actually need to feed on something, preferably meat. They are supposed to be a supersoldier research turned wrong (critical failure on the invention rolls) and however they have Cannot Speak, they are supposed to be able to make sounds, though disturbing ones. As per the No Sense of Humor I introduced it in the second phase, but it could be redundant, I dont know. What other disadvantage would you advice me to place instead of it?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The lower level of Cannot Speak still allows sounds, just not a complete language. By adding Disturbing Voice, you end up with sounds so weird the standard reactions are to either run away or open fire.
Exactly this, thank you xD