Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #31
adm

Default Re: Shikaku-Mon and TL-10 spytech

If I was Infinity's head of security, my nightmare scenario would be learning that the Shikaku-Mon's bleeding edge spy services had managed to put super spy tech on several conveyors without being detected before they had several trips worth of intel collected.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #32
TGLS

A nightmare which can be easily averted by always rotating out conveyors sent to Shikaku-Mon. If you need to sent them back, take them apart and rebuild them.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:36 AM   #33
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
If I was Infinity's head of security, my nightmare scenario would be learning that the Shikaku-Mon's bleeding edge spy services had managed to put super spy tech on several conveyors without being detected before they had several trips worth of intel collected.
See, I would think that the nightmare scenario is that the bugs get placed IN several of your agents.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #34
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
See, I would think that the nightmare scenario is that the bugs get placed IN several of your agents.
That too..
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #35
fchase8

Given Shikaku-Mon's high level of spy-tech, there is also likely a high level of fake imagery, photoshop, CGI, what have you. So the first instinct upon viewing something impossible like a disappearing or appearing I-Cop would be to think that the image was faked.

And Shikaku-Mon believes that ideas capture people, not the other way around like Homeline. If people can be convinced of Synarchism or whatever, why not appearing/disappearing strangers?

This would include seeing it with one's own eyes - there's virtual reality in Shikaku-Mon.

Indeed, an early guess could be, 'We're in a virtual reality' - look how popular that idea is in our world, without anywhere near as good VR.

I do think that religious magic would also come up. Even if Shikaku-Mon isn't very holy, religion is such a part of everyday life (mostly Catholicism, but also Islam - GURPS Infinite Worlds mentions recent "Islamosynarchism"), Sweden aside. It might just fill the place of, in our world, super powers, fantasy type magic (Tolkien, elves, etc.), even 'ancient religions'.

And I don't know how Shikaku-Mon feels about sci-fi. It's a high-tech world with rapid tech development, but it doesn't seem to be very happy about it. High-tech has given the world peepers, cybermen bodyguards, and a declining environment. I think most locals look on scientific development rather negatively, certainly the lower classes, not hopefully. More like Campbell than Homeline.

Who knows what they think about aliens. Space tech is pretty developed, with an inhabited space station and "French Luna" - perhaps aliens captured the popular imagination on Shikaku-Mon thanks to space tech developments, the way the space program fostered ideas about aliens on Homeline twentieth century.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #36
AlexanderHowl

Thankfully, they figured out that it would take a computer larger than the universe to accuracy mimic the molecular interactions in a hot cup of coffee, so it is impossible for us to exist in a virtual Universe (you could build trillions upon trillions of real Universes for the amount of matter required to realistically create a virtual Sol System).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:21 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Larger than OUR universe assuming only OUR physical laws.
You simply can't prove or disprove such ideas.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #38
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Thankfully, they figured out that it would take a computer larger than the universe to accuracy mimic the molecular interactions in a hot cup of coffee, so it is impossible for us to exist in a virtual Universe (you could build trillions upon trillions of real Universes for the amount of matter required to realistically create a virtual Sol System).
You donīt have to simulate the universe. You only have to simulate what AlexanderHowl is perceiving right now, and I am pretty sure he does not perceive molecular interactions directly. In case more sentient beings exist you also have to simulate what they perceive, but thatīs still just what any sufficiently advanced VR does.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote