Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
J. Edward Tremlett

Default What was keen about Pyramid 13?

Okay, it's been out a few days. Was this an unlucky issue for you, or did you feel like you won the lottery?

What did you like? What didn't work for you?

What was so good it made you want to run a new game RIGHT NOW?

Send your spells up into the air and let's see 'em!

* and yes, thus begins the slog of finding words that rhyme with "teen." I think we'll do fine, thanks. ; )
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
demonsbane

Default Re: What was keen about Pyramid 13?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
What did you like?
I haven't read it completely, but I like Fairy Tale Magic and the Mystic Knight template.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
Okay, it's been out a few days. Was this an unlucky issue for you, or did you feel like you won the lottery?

What did you like? What didn't work for you?

What was so good it made you want to run a new game RIGHT NOW?

Send your spells up into the air and let's see 'em!
I made a moderately detailed review of the issue, here, but tl:dr version: outstanding
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
PK

Speaking as a GURPS fanboy, not as someone who had a (very small) part in making this:

I really liked this issue. Not since #9 ("Space Opera") has there been a Pyramid that I felt was 100% useful and entertaining (to me, specifically). Both articles on Path/Book Magic took it in a brand new direction -- I was expecting both to just add a few more paths, but instead, The Magic of Stories recontextualized the whole idea of ritual magic into a metaplot ability, and Red Diabolism grabbed the contrast and brightness dials and yanked them both firmly towards a pitch black result. Awesome stuff. And speaking of evil, the Book of Null was full of that Tremlett gift for evocative writing and eerie ideas -- any game with a lot of mages has just found a new set of bad guys.

All else being equal, I couldn't pick a favorite article, but because I'm a huge fan of the DF line, the Mystic Knight (barely) won my top pick this month. I've said it before -- Antoni did an excellent job of finding a new niche and filling it without stepping on any of the other templates' toes. That, plus a solid, well-thought-out template, impressed me a lot. And speaking of DF, Salving Magic was obviously designed with DF in mind (or, at least, with a campaign that severely restricts healing magic in mind) -- it provides simple and easy rules for letting wizards have something "almost as good", which is an excellent idea.

The miscellany -- Wizard Squares, Odds and Ends, Random Thought Table, etc., all ranged from "neat" to "neat and useful" this month as well. Steven is a font of cool ideas, but having to fill 10% of a magazine with them every single month makes it even more impressive when all of it "hits" in a given issue.

I really hope that this is the first Pyramid bought by a lot of people who were considering checking it out but hadn't done so, yet. If they're fans of magic at all, I can't think of a better introduction to the magazine. (And if not, I'd point 'em towards #9.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
b-dog

I really liked the Magic of Stories. I guess because I always liked fairy tale story type of stuff. I would have loved to have had a fairy tale story stuff for use with DF because that is the way I run it. I like my elves, dwarves, gnomes and the like to be be like they are in fairy tales. I also like fairy tale style magic that sets a campaign. Things where there is higher tier magic that can only be defeated by finding a certain item or spell book makes for an interesting setting and puts the magic and wonder back into dungeon delving.

In any case the article was cool by itself and gave me some ideas to bring into my campaign. The mystic knight was cool and had a Stormbringer feel. I was expecting the mystic knight to have armor that radiates scintillating colors and emblazened with the eight pointed star of chaos. But it was pretty cool though.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
In any case the article was cool by itself and gave me some ideas to bring into my campaign. The mystic knight was cool and had a Stormbringer feel. I was expecting the mystic knight to have armor that radiates scintillating colors and emblazened with the eight pointed star of chaos. But it was pretty cool though.
Actually, the Defensive Imbuements, like any Imbuements, allow you to keep the special effects of your skills "on" for no cost. So if you know (e.g.) Blinding Defense, you can "turn the light on" on your armor for free, having it sparkle and shine brilliantly, throwing off rays of light (with no game effect other than having a light source).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Actually, the Defensive Imbuements, like any Imbuements, allow you to keep the special effects of your skills "on" for no cost. So if you know (e.g.) Blinding Defense, you can "turn the light on" on your armor for free, having it sparkle and shine brilliantly, throwing off rays of light (with no game effect other than having a light source).
But it won't be a bright light source, unless you take the Illumination perk. Otherwise, the way I read it,the special effects provide a cosmetic effect only. Not that you won't look "cool"
Quote:
Now, b-dog, if you like that image, take Unnatural features 5, Supernatural Features (Unmistakable Power) [-10 point version], and Illumination, That combo will allow you to a) Have something uncanny about your person, that you can not hide, and being able to generate light.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
And speaking of evil, the Book of Null was full of that Tremlett gift for evocative writing and eerie ideas -- any game with a lot of mages has just found a new set of bad guys.
Now THAT is high praise, indeed. Thank you, rev :)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
b-dog

The Book of Null was pretty cool. It had the sort of nihlism that evoked the cults of Tharizdun. It might be even better had it had some DF options to power them up. Maybe some sort of entropy or anti-magic jet and claws that drain the life magic from people, In any case it was very cool and creative.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I really liked the Magic of Stories. I guess because I always liked fairy tale story type of stuff.
Do you have Thaumotology: Alchemical Baroque? That setting is specifically designed for fairy tale inspired adventuring.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/13, thaumatology