Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #581
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas View Post
One of the world's biggest nuclear reactors shot down by mass invasion of jellyfish https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...rtikel=5662615
This is obviously a followup to their assault on the Diablo Canyon reactor in the US back in April, 2012.

Edit: Not to mention the incident of July 27, 2006, when the nuclear aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was stopped by a horde of jellyfish. But luckily, scientists and engineers at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology are working on a solution. They've prototyped JEROS, a robotic system to hunt down and (of course) terminate the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAIST
The research team led by Prof. Hyeon Myeong began developing an unmanned automated system capable of eradicating jellyfish in in 2009, and has since completed field-tests last year with success.

An unmanned aquatic robot JEROS with a mountable grinding part is buoyed by two cylindrical bodies that utilizes propulsion motors to move forward and reverse, as well as rotate 360 degrees. Furthermore, GIS (geographic information system)-based map data is used to specify the region for jellyfish extermination, which automatically calculates the path for the task. JEROS then navigates autonomously using a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver and an INS(inertial navigation system).

The assembly robots maintain a set formation pattern, while calculating its course to perform jellyfish extermination. The advantage of this method is that there is no need for individual control of the robots.

JEROS uses its propulsion speed to capture jellyfish into the grinding part on the bottom, which then suctions the jellyfish toward the propeller to be exterminated.

The field test results show that three assembly robots operating at 4 knots (7.2km/h) disposes jellyfish at the rate of about 900kg/h.

The full article
The advantage is that there's no need to control the extermination bots. Of course, this system still suffers from the disadvantage that we have to build fleets of the things. It sure would be simpler if we could just make them build themselves, so we could just turn a few prototypes loose and let 'em rip. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by Anaraxes; 10-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #582
tantric
Banned

Reading a recent xkcd reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago. This is not something I talk to people about in the RW because the only logical conclusion is that I'm mad as a box of worms. Nevertheless, it did happen and I'm not making this up.

I was working as a night shift cashier at Kroger. One night, this lady came through and bought a bunch of frozen fish. I noticed the label said "Batter Dipt Fish", which I thought was odd, as 5-MeO-DiPT is a drug* that was going around then. A few days latter I was stocking in the frozen section and saw the label again - and I saw another label for a different brand of fish with "dipped" spelled "dipt". I thought that was off, so when I got home I looked in my dictionary, which told me in no uncertain terms that the *only* correct past participle of "dip" was "dipt". I remember very clearly the wash of existential terror as my stomach fell through the floor. I didn't say anything about it, because the only explanation was that I had some brain dysfunction. Now here's the kicker - about a week later IT CHANGED BACK. I swear this, by the Buddha, the Samgha and the Dharma.

Now, the thing is, this is very similar to what happened to the universe jumping characters in the novel "the Number of the Beast" where they found an alternate universe that didn't use the letter "J". It was like someone was playing games with me.

One more thing - in the universe I was born in, Bill Clinton appointed George Stephanopolis to be his press secretary, but George was drummed out of the White House for being openly gay. I was heavily into gay politics then and fully remember discussing this with friends. Now George has a wife and kids. Lovely.

I'd just like to go on records as saying THIS CRAP IS NOT FUNNY PLEASE DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN. Thank you.

*The only drug I was taking at that time was lorazepam, which is not known to cause hallucinations.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #583
William

My mother and brother have fond memories of our family trip to Disney World when my brother and I were around 5 and 6.

I and my father don't remember any such trip at all, and I distinctly remember being excited about my first trip to Disney World in high school with our band.

I don't remember George Stephanopoulos being gay though.

Perhaps this one's a more subtle Banestorm world?

ETA: Gah, now there's a horrible philosophical problem. Two timelines, mostly similar, start collapsing in on each other. The histories appear to be fairly randomly spliced, so neither world seems to have a "dominant" claim on reality. What does humanity do when the pace starts accelerating and hundreds or thousands of people per day are having doubles show up and claim ownership of the same set of assets?

Me, I'm single and have a large enough house, and small enough financial assets and debts, that for right now it would be a tight squeeze but I could survive one of me showing up. (More than two timelines and this problem rapidly gets impossible of course.) The biggest question would be who gets my current job. For a lot of people, though, this would just be a killing issue.

Last edited by William; 10-04-2013 at 07:59 AM.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #584
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
One more thing - in the universe I was born in, Bill Clinton appointed George Stephanopolis to be his press secretary, but George was drummed out of the White House for being openly gay.
Why would President Kerrey's Secretary of State have needed a press secretary? And it is really likely that Archbishop Stephanopoulos would have stepped down from the Orthodox church just to take that job?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #585
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
ETA: Gah, now there's a horrible philosophical problem. Two timelines, mostly similar, start collapsing in on each other. The histories appear to be fairly randomly spliced, so neither world seems to have a "dominant" claim on reality. What does humanity do when the pace starts accelerating and hundreds or thousands of people per day are having doubles show up and claim ownership of the same set of assets?
You may want to read The Shadow Men by Christopher Golden & Tim Lebbon, you've pretty much described something that happens in it.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #586
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Why would President Kerrey's Secretary of State have needed a press secretary? And it is really likely that Archbishop Stephanopoulos would have stepped down from the Orthodox church just to take that job?
Haha not. That was when I was trying to disengage from Coincidence Control Central* (hey, DMT Elves, take your shiny tesseract and shove it where the sun don't shine!) and I'm fairly sure it was them. I permanently lost SAN from that, and that's not something I have to spare. The only thing I can compare it to is being in a car crash when your car is spinning out of control. Then again, the lost SAN translated into Unfazeable - I just go with now.

"Cosmic Love is absolutely Ruthless and Highly Indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

*You're not cleared to know that, though I'm pretty sure most of the elite at SJG are agents. Or counteragents.

Last edited by tantric; 10-05-2013 at 07:39 AM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #587
Anders

Critical success on Animal Handling.

He can sue for discrimination, though.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #588
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Critical success on Animal Handling.

He can sue for discrimination, though.
Possibly the bear was under age...
Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #589
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Possibly the bear was under age...
From reading service workers' forums, I posit that the bear simply "left his I.D. in the car, and will be right back with it."
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #590
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
From reading service workers' forums, I posit that the bear simply "left his I.D. in the car, and will be right back with it."
At least the Bear didn't scream at her and call her a "racist" or a "terrorist". Which happened to me in that situation at least weekly when I had that job...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox