Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Mister Negative

Default Re: Monsters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revturkey View Post
Hi all, thanks very much for your replies...seems like the consensus is to ignore point considerations and go with a case by case basis. Bit more complicated than I was hoping for...relying more on experience with the system etc. Fair enough. At least practicing is fun :) need to get some games under my belt and learn how it all balances then. Thanks.

Also, since this is a concern, consider running an adventure that acknowledges it.

Since you're still getting a feel for how the system 'balances' encounters, don't do a deep delve that leaves the PCs adrift in hostile territory. Instead, maybe consider a gladiatorial arena (where the PCs can fight, but the monsters will be forced back and driven off if the PCs lose consciousness).

Alternatively, a scenario where a magical menagerie gets loose in a town or something could work, so that if the PCs are overwhelmed, town guards come and help, or hapless bystanders get eviscerated instead.

It's basically running practice combats, but 'in game', rather than just hypothetical duels.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revturkey View Post
I know from other games that this isn’t an exact science but any idea how I can gauge what to use without utterly overwhelming a party or making the challenge meaningless etc?
Hey Revturkey, keep reading.

There is a pretty useful and concise answer to your questions in Exploits.
Specifically under:
Chapter 6. Game Mastering -> Mastering Dungeons -> Perilous Encounters -> Balancing Encounters.

As a tease, these categories are addressed:
Monster offense, defense, and mobility.
Monster power level: fodder, worthy, and boss.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #13
Revturkey

Hi Tom, thanks very much...just had a read. Again, I think it’s pretty loose as far as guidelines go but a helpful read nevertheless. I think they could have at least given some broad rating to the power of creatures but not to worry, I’ll muddle on and butcher the player characters unwittingly lol. Thanks for the help :)
Revturkey is offline   Reply With Quote