Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
(E)

Default What GURPS needs...now (Pyramid articles)

What could be produced to help GURPS that would fit in a pyramid article?

Using the media that GURPS has at it's disposal i.e. Pyramid, what could be done to increase GURPS' fan base within the confines of an article?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Stone Dog

Default Re: What GURPS needs...now (Pyramid articles)

A thought that immediately pops up (which isn't exactly what you are asking for, I know) is theme compilations. For instance a "Pyramid Compendium: Dungeon Fantasy" or "Pyramid Compendium: Spaceships" with all the articles for that particular theme in one volume. Even if it was a few dollars more than buying the individual issues outright it could be worth it to somebody to have that level of focus in one file. Especially with POD becoming easier and easier.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

I don't see how a publication that is limited to people that already know enough about GURPS to want to know more by subscribing will help increase the fan base. New fans need to be exposed to the game in some media that they can access easily. Since Pyramid is confined to just GURPS (that is correct isn't it?) then there is little chance that a nifty article about GURPS will be seen by someone not already looking for GURPS stuff. If GURPS articles appear in other magazines that are bought by people that play other games then you get the cross pollination that you seek.

Now if you want to publish articles for fans of GURPS on how to be better ambassadors for the game and to handle the worst of the objections that have surfaced about it that might help along the axis of recruitment by individuals.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Now if you want to publish articles for fans of GURPS on how to be better ambassadors for the game and to handle the worst of the objections that have surfaced about it that might help along the axis of recruitment by individuals.
Working off that idea, resources for people who want to be GURPS ambassadors.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Work out easy to use explanations/comparisons/arguments to use when confronted with negative comments about GURPS.

Work out how to do a stripped down 'Arena Games' demo of the combat system. New people draw a 3x5 card from a deck with stats filled out and weapons listed. Two enter, one leaves. Most of the time anyway. New people not in the arena use tokens to bet on outcomes. When it is their turn to draw a card they can use tokens like character points to buff the character a bit. Choose an appropriate exchange rate. 5-20 points range should be plenty. What new people get to see is a lot of dice rolling and action. The person running it has to have combat down cold to make it go smooth.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Using the media that GURPS has at it's disposal i.e. Pyramid, what could be done to increase GURPS' fan base within the confines of an article?
Publishing in Pyramid? Nothing. It's possible there are some articles in Pyramid which, if made freely available, would help GURPS (though I wouldn't bet strongly on it; most Pyramid articles aren't targeted that way), but you can't really put advertisement behind a paywall, it misses the point of advertisement.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
For instance a "Pyramid Compendium: Dungeon Fantasy"
This is a thing: http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/dungeonfantasycollected/

Quote:
Even if it was a few dollars more than buying the individual issues outright it could be worth it to somebody to have that level of focus in one file.
It's vastly cheaper, actually. Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected is $15.99 and has 28 articles from 19 issues, so you save $136(!) over the individual issues.

Quote:
Also a thing:
http://www.sjgames.com/mib/

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-15-2017 at 10:17 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Snip of stuff I agree with
Yep on the reaching the converted.
Not sure on a how to reach more people issue though.
Comments like that in the editorial part would be fine but anybody who can write an article for that should probably do it outside Pyramid and I doubt people would be happy paying for such an issue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
(E)

Being a MIB requires two things I don't have, a local gaming store or access to conventions. I was thinking for more informal situations.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Humabout

It's not articles but speaks to the ideas mentioned in the other What GURPS Needs thread. Pyramid needs a true diversity of authorship. Aside from the two regularly monthly articles, we always get material from the same handful (five, maybe?) authors, which leads to a homogenaity of approaches and ideas.

Steven has addressed this pretty accurately in the past when he said that people need to submit publishable articles for there to be more diveristy in authorship. But that said, if one looks at the Pyramid Wishlist, there are no standing calls for DF articles, yet we keep getting DF issues. That probably discourages would-be authors, since the "#SameFourAuthors" keep getting published in issues that weren't even on the wishlist. Steven probably has his reasons, but it doesn't encourage new writers.

What might help bring in more articles (and hopefully good ones!) is a list of topics that are always open for writers, like Action!, After the End, Dungeon Fantasy, and Minster Hunters. I'd tack on a generic Space one, since we hardly get scifi issues (there is one on the wishlist now), but GURPS could do more to address scifi games officially, imo.

It's also a shame Doug's old Pyramid Write Club fizzled out. That was a huge help for me personally, and a lot of good articles from new writers came out of it. Even if there was a writer's forum or some community support where people felt safe talking about projects and getting reviews without worrying about their work getting coopted by anyone. I guess I'm suggesting more community support for aspiring GURPS authors. The WYSIWYG is useful, but it takes some work to understand and internalize the style, and everyone always needs work on grammar and writing chops always.

That got rambly. Sorry. But those are my thoughs: more diversity of authorship, preferably with some community support would go a LONG way toward improving GURPS.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote