Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #51
(E)

Default Re: Alternate History / Timeline: Invading the US

Another tweak to the timeline that might leave the US vulnerable. Back in 2014 a Doctor who had contracted Ebola went for a ride on the subway in New York. A slight alteration to existing events might have seen him be in a more infectious phase of the illness.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #52
Crystalline_Entity

What would it take to fragment the US? If the US is fighting a civil war, or trying to put down an insurrection, they might not respond to Soviet/Russian "peacekeeping" troops as quickly as they otherwise would. I suspect the answer depends on exactly which time period they're attempting to invade, but American history or politics aren't my area of expertise so I'm not sure how likely this really is.

I guess when Soviet involvement became clear, the US allies would intervene (I can't imagine Canada wanting Soviet troops on its southern border, and the rest of NATO probably wouldn't be too happy either), but that would make it even more of a messy situation.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #53
DocRailgun

Not unless he was bleeding or projectile vomiting all over people. Ebola isn't transmitted through the air, only through contact with bodily fluids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Another tweak to the timeline that might leave the US vulnerable. Back in 2014 a Doctor who had contracted Ebola went for a ride on the subway in New York. A slight alteration to existing events might have seen him be in a more infectious phase of the illness.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #54
tanksoldier

The way in happened in the original Red Dawn was an invasion from the south from Mexico thru Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. The initial troops were airborne units dropped from aircraft mimicking commercial flight paths. The initial troops are Spanish speaking with Cuban and eventually Soviet advisors.

The fluff at the beginning of the movie specified that the US had been politically isolated. I imagine that communism might have been more successful in South and Central America, NATO May have collapsed or simply have been powerless to intervene. NATO has always relied on the US for logistic support and mobility beyond Western Europe.

The US getting troops to Germany is very different than Germany getting troops to the US especially if the US is busy redeploying all the troops in Europe in 1985 back to the US to fight on home soil... especially if the Soviet’s tell Europe to stay out of it or face invasion once US troops have left Europe.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, us invasion