Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown

We just released GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown, which describes a fantasy town. While it is a GURPS supplement, it wouldn't be hard to use with the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. For more information, check out this post.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown

Any quick thoughts on setting “I smell a Rat” as a location in Caverntown?

Our group delved into the first half of ISaR last week, I’m pretty sure i need Caverntown regardless based on the other forum’s positive comments about it... just curious if you’d already a quick-and-easy insertion idea.

but I’ll probably set it there anyway with a simple “... oh yeah your starting town was underground, didn’t i mention that?”

I never said it wasn’t Underground!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Any quick thoughts on setting “I smell a Rat” as a location in Caverntown?
It could be dropped in relatively easily with the sewers as part of Undertown. If I were placing it there, though, I would make a few revisions, such as changing the basement to include living quarters (most Caverntowners sleep in their basements because the "sun" never sets). This wouldn't be a big deal, though. I'm sure some folks just close their shutters upstairs.

The best reason not to set it in Caverntown, since you've already begun the adventure, is that the players will miss out on their arrival via the lift and all the initial descriptions of the town. That's a pretty steep price. I would put the ISaR town along a trade route or river not far from Caverntown and then make it the party's next destination. They could have a minor quest: deliver this letter / wagon / macguffin to somebody in Caverntown. Then they'd get to experience the mountain, fort, lift, and first descriptions of the place (and pay the toll, of course). They'd be set for many adventures to come!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Moving to a new adventure hub is also a great occasion to unlock new shopping and training options, such as making Special Order items available with an appropriate roll, or allowing enchanting of existing items, or introducing new ones from other books, such as Ninja or Sage gear.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post

The best reason not to set it in Caverntown, since you've already begun the adventure, is that the players will miss out on their arrival via the lift and all the initial descriptions of the town. That's a pretty steep price. I would put the ISaR town along a trade route or river not far from Caverntown and then make it the party's next destination. They could have a minor quest: deliver this letter / wagon / macguffin to somebody in Caverntown. Then they'd get to experience the mountain, fort, lift, and first descriptions of the place (and pay the toll, of course). They'd be set for many adventures to come!
I agree, I would make it a separate but nearby town, The setting is too flavorful to just skip over an intro.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
LokRobster

Thanks the advice, y’all. Gotta get it now and read up!

I’ll stick with ISaR being in the city of Aranea, and do a lead into traveling to Caverntown after the Ratmen Adventure.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Thanks the advice, y’all. Gotta get it now and read up!

I’ll stick with ISaR being in the city of Aranea, and do a lead into traveling to Caverntown after the Ratmen Adventure.
Awesome, post how they like it
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Terquem

While I love to create small, short dungeon adventures (for all sorts of games)

I get discouraged creating towns

I need more pre generated towns and villages, so, you know

THANK YOU!
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote