Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #291
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
It's going to take some time. Steve's working on stuff at the moment, but we're not looking at imminent release or anything like that.
No, I didn't think you were... I was hoping you might have some sort of glimmer on when a Melee Kickstarter might show up, though. However, we will wait! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #292
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
A fair question, because the Dark City situation doesn't really have a precedent in the hobby AFAIK. It would not have been right to talk ABOUT Dark City until I had talked TO them, but I just finished a very pleasant call with George Dew. So the executive summary is, we are talking :) In my perfect Year 2019 or 2020, there would be no "clone rules" on the market, but there would be a wide variety of "new" fan-written adventures available under the TFT banner. I should not say "fan," because if these guys sell me a dozen adventures, they are pros.
I just found out about the acquisition of TFT rights and I think this is great news! When George and I were working together, being huge fans of TFT, we both wanted to resurrect the great adventures to be had with programmed modules such as Death Test or Orb Quest, but always the problem with access to the rules stood in the way, i.e. not available to the general public, as a rule, to expose new and younger gamers to the system.

Creating a similar set of rules without infringing on rights left us with an "interesting" set of game rules, with compromises along the way, and for me, just enough to get by to allow continuation of programmed modules that had a similar look and feel.

I certainly hope SJG can just address the few slight imbalances and typos and paste-up errors in the original rules, then, without the work-arounds that DCG had to use (IMO), make them available to the public once again, especially to younger gamers.

My biggest wish would be high quality (along the lines of Death Test, Orb Quest, etc.) programmed modules that support the world of Cidri as presented in the original TFT rules. It is, I think, what DCG strived for, and I give credit to George Dew for having enough fortitude and love of the game to keep an homage to TFT alive through his Dark City Games efforts over these past years.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #293
jhs

Wow! Melee and Wizard were two of my first games from back when, well, they were in print. I have looked off and on for copies just for the memories but never won an auction or stumbled across them. This is up there with the reprint of ogre for me. I look forward to the opportunity to order lots of t shirts on the Kickstarter (and the games).

Ogre, melee, wizard...now you just need to reprint my youth.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #294
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs View Post
Wow! Melee and Wizard were two of my first games from back when, well, they were in print. I have looked off and on for copies just for the memories but never won an auction or stumbled across them. This is up there with the reprint of ogre for me. I look forward to the opportunity to order lots of t shirts on the Kickstarter (and the games).

Ogre, melee, wizard...now you just need to reprint my youth.
There's quite an active set of threads on the topic over on the Forums, and Steve has a specific Web Page dedicated to the project here.

Please join in! And tell your friends!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #295
Game Methuselah

I can’t wait to have the RPG I have used for decades back in print
Game Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #296
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Methuselah View Post
I can’t wait to have the RPG I have used for decades back in print
Steve has made a lot of progress on the game and we expect to have more info next month.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #297
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Steve has made a lot of progress on the game and we expect to have more info next month.
That is fantastic news! Really looking forward to this particular journey!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 AM   #298
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That is fantastic news! Really looking forward to this particular journey!
Watching the Daily Illuminator should get you the best info on the game. I can report that many of us have worked on The Fantasy Trip over the last several weeks, with some of the team working daily on the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #299
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Yes, I GM'd last week and Sam and Randy took time off from autoduelling to slay a bunch of hobgoblins, all of whom deserved it.

I am using the long weekend, now that I have my computer back (thank you, Apple, for the speed), to review Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard. The file for In The Labyrinth is with Ben and Andrew right now.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #300
JLV

That is absolutely fantastic. I must say, I'm rather surprised at the speed and level of effort here, given the many, many other things you guys have on your plate!

Very much appreciated by this particular fan-boy, though! ;-)