Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
PseudoFenton

Default Re: [DF] Bow fencers with Swashbuckler lens

In a world with regular expressions, it does offend me that Google can't even do a true absolute search. If you want to use more advanced search features for more precise and targeted queries you should be able to! Instead everything gets piped though pre-made non over-ridable assumptions which can make some searches simply impossible to make. It's a poor design decision, what's worse is that its a new one, as it never use to be so restrictive in how it handled its advanced search tools.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
All because they decided to call their social media platform Google+, so they had to change the way the + is interpreted.
There is a new 'verbatim' option in the left column, that at least stop google from:
Quote:
making automatic spelling corrections
personalizing your search by using information such as sites you’ve visited before
including synonyms of your search terms (matching “car” when you search [automotive])
finding results that match similar terms to those in your query (finding results related to “floral delivery” when you search [flower shops])
searching for words with the same stem like “running” when you’ve typed [run]
making some of your terms optional, like “circa” in [the scarecrow circa 1963]
But sadly, it does not stop the specific hyphen problem.

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
Carlos

Ok, so to figure out the cost of this bow, I need to sum the cost of a bow (Composite Bow or Longbow) with the Qian Kun Ri Yue Dao?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Cursed_Lich

I'm on a stalemate. It's about Combining Weapons (Low Tech 2) and Bow Fencer (DF 11).

If you combine a Long Bow and a Qang Kung Dao the LT2 says:
Quote:
“Combination” weapons use either the hardest skill for any constituent part or several skills.
And DF 11 says at the Bow Fencer power-up:
Quote:
You can wield a bow as a melee weapon without ruining it. Roll against Bow skill to strike with your bow as a baton at Reach 1, for swing or thrust crushing damage. If you have an arrow ready, you may opt to poke for thrust-1 impaling. You may also parry at Bow/2 + 3.
If you use a Bladed Bow, you shoud use the Bow skill to shoot and the Staff or THS skill to use the blades. Note that you use different skills with different functions.

I don't think the Bow Fencer would change this and make parries AND attacks with the Bow skill. I don't have a solid opinion about the parry, but I guess you should use Staff or THS for attacking and Bow Fencer has nothing to do about it.

What do you think guys?

Last edited by Cursed_Lich; 11-18-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Wrong book, now corrected.
Cursed_Lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed_Lich View Post
I'm on a stalemate. It's about Combining Weapons (Low Tech 2) and Bow Fencer (DF 11).

If you combine a Long Bow and a Qang Kung Dao the LT2 says:

And DF 11 says at the Bow Fencer power-up:

If you use a Bladed Bow, you shoud use the Bow skill to shoot and the Staff or THS skill to use the blades. Note that you use different skills with different functions.

I don't think the Bow Fencer would change this and make parries AND attacks with the Bow skill. I don't have a solid opinion about the parry, but I guess you should use Staff or THS for attacking and Bow Fencer has nothing to do about it.

What do you think guys?
Bladed Bow requires two skills to be used: Bow skill to shoot and Staff or THS to use its blades with melee attacks.

On the other hand, what distinguish the Scout from other non-scouts or scout-lensed dwelvers is that they have Bow Fencer, which allows then the unique ability to use their bows both as ranged and melee weapon.

IMHO, the fact that its a bow with blades (made with combination weapon rules from LTC 2) means, at best, that its an exotic weapon, requiring the Exotic Weapon Training perk to avoid penalties.

Anyway, lets see what people have to say. The point is that the Bladed Bow is the ultimate bow to pure scouts.

Its pure Bow Fu!
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
Cursed_Lich

I've sent a PM to Kromm and this was his answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I would say that if a bow is acting as more than a baton with the occasional arrow poke, it needs additional abilities to use. That said, we're not talking about expensive abilities . . . a Weapon Adaptation perk should suffice if the weapon in question is designed for the purpose.
Well Carlos, after all, you'll need the Exotic Weapon Training and the Weapon Adaptation perks, but that's all.

Tags
swashbuckler, [df] bow fencer