Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
JLV

Default Re: Hexagram #1, an Old-School RPG Zine for The Fantasy Trip

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the bookmark. Normally I'm pretty "meh" about stuff like that, but that design is an excellent one, and actually gives it some additional utility (put a major villain on there for instant reference, for example).

The Postcard Labyrinths are quite well done too. Basically a perfect place to try out Johnn Four's "Five Room Dungeon" format!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #52
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Heh, I went on a tear when the idea was first mooted and have made three so far. I suspect I'll have to revisit them though when the specs come out for the contest. There's probably going to be minimum allowables for font and image size, for example. Like "all text must be at least 9pt Times New Roman" and "hexes on dungeon map must be at least one-quarter inch wide for legibility". I think my use of 8pt font is going to come back and bite me.
I made my first one before the contest was even announced. I just made a 4x6" adventure, and the map took up a whole side, and the text was on the other side, squeezed in with a barely legible 5pt font. When the contest was announced, I made a new map and based it on the previous adventure, the only one I ever wrote! I fit it all one one side like a real postcard.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #53
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I made my first one before the contest was even announced. I just made a 4x6" adventure, and the map took up a whole side, and the text was on the other side, squeezed in with a barely legible 5pt font. When the contest was announced, I made a new map and based it on the previous adventure, the only one I ever wrote! I fit it all one one side like a real postcard.
Congratulations! Making adventures is a whole lotta fun, I feel. And I like the "oulipo" nature of the postcard dungeon idea. I tend to get more creative the more restrictive the rules are. I suspect I'll have to revisit my tightly-packed postcards once the rules come out.

I got another postcard idea today, quite different than my other ones. I'm going to see where this one leads me.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #54
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the bookmark. Normally I'm pretty "meh" about stuff like that, but that design is an excellent one, and actually gives it some additional utility (put a major villain on there for instant reference, for example).
Good to hear! We intended for it to be a useful tool and not just an oddity.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #55
philreed
I do stuff and things.

For anyone who missed the campaign, preorders are now open:

https://tft-hexagramzine.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #56
Skarg

The longship is listed as 2 x 15 4-foot hexes (so 30 total), but with max passengers of 32 and rowed by 20-40 men... what's missing that the math doesn't add up here?

Looking at real/historical-Earth longship stats, I think it's that the width is incorrect. The slimmest longship was 2.7m wide, so I think 20 x 3 is more like it.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #57
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The longship is listed as 2 x 15 4-foot hexes (so 30 total), but with max passengers of 32 and rowed by 20-40 men... what's missing that the math doesn't add up here?

Looking at real/historical-Earth longship stats, I think it's that the width is incorrect. The slimmest longship was 2.7m wide, so I think 20 x 3 is more like it.
Based on the dimensions of the Gokstaad ship, which was 25yds long and 5yds wide, having the width be 1/5 the length is probably a nice rule of thumb.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #58
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Darryll is closing preorders this weekend. We've seen one set of proofs, ordered a second, and we're on track to mail the zine next month.

Preorder here . . . for now. https://tft-hexagramzine.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #59
BMonroe

Just ordered a copy, and a couple sets of those pretty dice. Looking forward to seeing it all.
BMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #60
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

A slightly later ship find: 80' x 13'.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/829-...ts-secrets.amp
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote