Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #451
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The real Everett wore cowboy boots whenever he was off duty, including when he rode his bike. He also wore them for social occasions, dancing, dining and running errands. I'm guessing that the real Everett had a number of pairs of cowboy boots and at least one of them was fairly comfortable to wear.
Then (unless he was a complete idiot) Everett probably had at least one pair of riding cowboy boots, so they'd have a nice grippy sole and decent foot protection.

So if Everatt's style is being mimicked then they'd have picked up Taylor a pair.

I recommend these, they're pretty swank and look pretty durable.

Alternately these are damned swank (maybe too swank) but they don't look as durable to my untrained eye (I have no idea if snake skin is more or less durable than cowhide).

Quote:
Is anyone aware of a make of leather boots that has the classic Western / cowboy look, ideally with a fancy patterning that at least looks like ostrich, alligator or something exotic, but are comfortable, sturdy enough to ride a bike in, but not hopeless as general purpose footwear either?
I have no idea about that. I'd just do a google search and see what pops up.

Quote:
Basically, what do you wear when you want to look fancy, but do not want to suffer any penalties to action-adventure stuff for your footwear?
Usually you suck it up and either get expensive custom made or make do with a lacking in one area or the other.

Though I will note, High-Tech does not put any penalties on combat boots. So it's likely that there really shouldn't be any.

I only mention possible penalties as I've climbed (and snuck) in combat boots, and there is a distinct difference between climbing in combat boots and climbing in sneakers... and a difference I feel is greater than 1.

Quote:
Are moccasins something that seem likely as a choice of footwear for Taylor, raised in Luverne, Alabama, and then a career in the US Army, living variously at Ft. Bragg, NC, off-base on Georgia for a while and in Afghanistan or a variety of Latin American locations?
Unlikely. Someone would have had to introduce the idea to him.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #452
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Then (unless he was a complete idiot) Everett probably had at least one pair of riding cowboy boots, so they'd have a nice grippy sole and decent foot protection.

So if Everatt's style is being mimicked then they'd have picked up Taylor a pair.
Yes, I believe so.

Quote:
I recommend these, they're pretty swank and look pretty durable.
These are very nice. They look exactly like what I'd have pictured.

Would these give a penalty to Climbing or Stealth?

Compared to, say, combat boots?

Quote:
Alternately these are damned swank (maybe too swank) but they don't look as durable to my untrained eye (I have no idea if snake skin is more or less durable than cowhide).
While a priori, I would have applauded the idea of snakeskin boots, I don't like the pattern on these. That is, I don't like the large white circle with the tree picture, which I suppose is the Los Altos signature. Looking over the site, it seems that this signature does not need to be white and it is much preferable when it isn't.

Quote:
I have no idea about that. I'd just do a google search and see what pops up.
There is a wealth of cowboy boots on the Internet, but I don't know what kind of sole or other features they need to have to justify a lack of penalties to Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth.

Quote:
Usually you suck it up and either get expensive custom made or make do with a lacking in one area or the other.
Well, to fit into the cover identity, Taylor is prepared to do without a steel-toed boot and the safety (and offensive) benefits those would come with. But given how likely it is that he'll have to use Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth while wearing the same footwear as when on a motorcycle, he really ought to avoid penalties to those skills.

Hiking is less important, hopefully. If he has to leave his bike and walk somewhere, he'll hopefully have time to change footwear.

Quote:
Though I will note, High-Tech does not put any penalties on combat boots. So it's likely that there really shouldn't be any.

I only mention possible penalties as I've climbed (and snuck) in combat boots, and there is a distinct difference between climbing in combat boots and climbing in sneakers... and a difference I feel is greater than 1.
A -1 penalty or +1 bonus is meant to be a pretty big difference, which it is when skill levels are low, such as when using default Stealth.

But I'd certainly agree that footwear should give more than +/-1 on certain surfaces, where using Stealth at all is very dependent on being able to put something soft in contact with the hard surface.

Quote:
Unlikely. Someone would have had to introduce the idea to him.
As noted, huaraches are a much more appropriate idea.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #453
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Would these give a penalty to Climbing or Stealth?

Compared to, say, combat boots?
It's basically the same as combat boots. The biggest difference is that because the boot isn't laced up tightly (but some are buckled which is effectively the same) it has a small amount of play on the foot.

Quote:
There is a wealth of cowboy boots on the Internet, but I don't know what kind of sole or other features they need to have to justify a lack of penalties to Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth.
This sole is a standard cowboy boot sole, flat and made for ease of slipping into a stirrup.

Conversely this sole is pretty much a standard combat boot sole, it's fine for most adventure skills.

The first style I'd give a -1 to most adventure skills until you become Familiar (and even then I* might keep a -1 to Climb and Sneak). Your feet are just prone slip when running, or jumping, there is no grip for Climbing, etc.

The second is basically a combat boot sole, but it's not going to be as good in mud due to the narrow heel (below GURPS threshold).

* I'm harsher than High-Tech, I feel that all hard soled boots should take a -1 to Stealth and Climbing. Running, Acrobatics, Jumping are all things you can acclimate to, but the restriction from the hard sole and tight decreased mobility in the ankle really does reduce Climbing and Sneaking in my opinion.

Quote:
But given how likely it is that he'll have to use Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth while wearing the same footwear as when on a motorcycle, he really ought to avoid penalties to those skills.
As mentioned, High-Tech isn't going to penalize for riding boots.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 AM   #454
Icelander

Quote:
It's basically the same as combat boots. The biggest difference is that because the boot isn't laced up tightly (but some are buckled which is effectively the same) it has a small amount of play on the foot.
I'm led to believe (by various message boards that Google brings up) that a close fit is exceptionally important for cowboy boots, owing to the lack of laces to correct for less than perfect match for the foot.

Quote:
This sole is a standard cowboy boot sole, flat and made for ease of slipping into a stirrup.

Conversely this sole is pretty much a standard combat boot sole, it's fine for most adventure skills.

The first style I'd give a -1 to most adventure skills until you become Familiar (and even then I* might keep a -1 to Climb and Sneak). Your feet are just prone slip when running, or jumping, there is no grip for Climbing, etc.

The second is basically a combat boot sole, but it's not going to be as good in mud due to the narrow heel (below GURPS threshold).
Would these correspond to 'riding' and 'walking' cowboy boots, respectively?

I'm pretty sure that no one would expect Taylor to use a pair of flat-soled riding boots as all-purpose footwear.

Quote:
* I'm harsher than High-Tech, I feel that all hard soled boots should take a -1 to Stealth and Climbing. Running, Acrobatics, Jumping are all things you can acclimate to, but the restriction from the hard sole and tight decreased mobility in the ankle really does reduce Climbing and Sneaking in my opinion.
Skills tend to assume 'adventuring use' as unpenalised skill checks, which means that typical adventuring clothing and footwear probably ought to be +0. From TL3 to TL8, a lot of adventurers will be wearing riding boots (TL3 to TL5) or combat boots (TL6 to TL8) as their daily footwear.

I've always assumed that typical Climbing or Stealth checks assumed stout footwear built for adventuring uses, with DR 2*, if not actual armour. I'd give barefooted characters who were used to doing it barefooted a bonus (which might justify an Accessory Perk for low-tech hunter-gatherers and the like, that their bare feet are equivalent to purpose-built athletic footwear).

I'd say that Running actually takes a penalty from a lot of boots not designed for running. Hiking the same. In both cases, even a minor annoyance quickly builds up to a problem.

Quote:
As mentioned, High-Tech isn't going to penalize for riding boots.
Well, no, but lighter, purpose-made athletic footwear is good for a +1 to one or more skills.

And I'd penalise hard-soled footwear when using Stealth on hard surfaces, especially surfaces that make sounds easily, i.e. where there is no alternative but to try to tip-toe around hardwood flooring. But I might not penalise it when using Stealth outdoors, on varied ground, where proper use of the skill includes selecting a path that suits the footwear you are wearing.

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops