Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Rip/Criticize my character: Angela Copperfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
As it stands right now, she is a drug addicted potential sex criminal (she has nothing that prevents her from seeking underage partners) with a penchant for dangerous pranks and random theft who everyone recognizes. Her mental problems should be global news at Status 5 and parents should keep their children away from her while the local authorities should be pulling her over every day to search for drugs. My suggestion would be to trim the disadvantages to 100 points, plus 5 points in quirks, and get rid of anything that is not essential to the character concept.

If the character is for a one on one game, she'll work. Otherwise the game almost has to be about her.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What's her total point value? I'm not going to go through and add all those numbers in brackets, but I'd like to know. . . .
She is 669 points:
Advantages 496; Disadvantages -275; Quirks -6; Skills 454
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You can't claim a disadvantage for sleep difficulties if you don't need to sleep.
The Doesnīt Sleep advantage depends on her taking Stimulants every night as if they were jellybeans, otherwise she looses it :)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

It really depends on what the character finds attractive in the opposite sex. In my campaigns though, Lecherousness only applies when the individual in question possesses the secondary sexual characteristics that the character finds desirable. On a failed self-control roll, a character with Lecherousness should make a pass against the attractive individual and, if the pass is accepted, should engage in sexual relations unless physically restrained, regardless of the consequences.

The reason why Lecherousness is a disadvantage is because it makes characters engage in dangerous or potentially illegal sexual behavior. A character with Lecherousness will risk having sex with an attractive member of their preferred sex who is cloistered, diseased, married, psychotic, underage, etc, it does not matter the exact specifics of the person because the character just wants to use their body. Remember, it is a 15 point disadvantage, so it should be as disadvantageous to the character as having On the Edge or Sadism.

Now, I allow players to take Lecherousness modified by Accessibility to represent their specific preferences. I strongly encourage Adults Only (-20%) and, when I explain things to the players, they almost universally take the limitation. Other forms of Accessibility that are common for Lecherousness in my campaigns deal with disadvantages, martial status, natural hair color, and racial identity. I once had a player with a character with Lecherousness (Accessibility, Adults Only, -20%; Accessibility, Single Only, -20%; Accessibility, Natural Redheads Only, -40%) (12) [-3]. Every session, I made sure to point out the attractive redhead that appeared in the game to the player, just to remind him that his character's disadvantage still applied.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Agreed, no double dipping allowed. Now, you could have Less Sleep 4 and Insomnia, it actually makes sense that an insomniac would get used to having less sleep, but Doesn't Sleep and Insomnia are a forbidden combination. I would also only allow one Secret because, quite frankly, a 10 point Secret pales in comparison to a 20 point Secret.

In general, I do not allow more than 100 points of negative traits, plus 5 points in quirks, into my campaigns, so the character would be banned for being a freakshow. The character would be unplayable because you would have a 50% chance every session of one of the secrets coming out, which means that every other session is about dealing with her secrets. If that is not bad enough, she is nuttier than a fruitcake, and should be drugged to her gills in a padded cell rather than endangering society.

As it stands right now, she is a drug addicted potential sex criminal (she has nothing that prevents her from seeking underage partners) with a penchant for dangerous pranks and random theft who everyone recognizes. Her mental problems should be global news at Status 5 and parents should keep their children away from her while the local authorities should be pulling her over every day to search for drugs. My suggestion would be to trim the disadvantages to 100 points, plus 5 points in quirks, and get rid of anything that is not essential to the character concept.
Quote:
If that is not bad enough, she is nuttier than a fruitcake, and should be drugged to her gills in a padded cell rather than endangering society.
Loving it! I just calculated it and itīs a bit over 62.65%, so they have a good chance of coming out every session... I have no idea of how to fix this without trimming down the character.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Columbidae and Leporidae are both families, but Feloidea is a suborder. The asymmetry seems odd. Is there a specific reason you want her to be skilled at training civets, hyenas, and mongoose as well as cats (Felidae)?

I had to look up Glossata, and again it's a suborder, but in this case it doesn't bother me; in fact I might have just said "Lepidoptera," as the great majority of Lepidoptera are butterflies and moths, which is which Glossata seems to cover. I'm not sure, though, what sort of "training" you envision her doing with butterflies. Or is this simply the kind of handling that a beekeeper does with honeybees? I suppose that might be called Animal Handling, though it doesn't let you do nearly as much as you can do even with snakes, let alone trained poodles.
Well... I tried to look up to the skill as per the book, and then look from the orders down... and wikipedia came up with "Columbidae" and "Leporidae" directly, without any suborders... It goes from Lagomorpha to Leporidae just like that. As per the justification of the skill she is using those animals in her magic shows, and I thought magic tricks with butterflies would look seriously cool. Are there any suborders to fix the Columbidae and Leporidae part?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
talonthehand

She has six quirks, which goes past any recommended limits. Also, I'm not sure how valid "likes [skill]" is for a quirk. "Likes Magic" would probably be enough to include fortune telling, magicing, sleight of hand, and hypnotizing.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #18
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Do you require a special advantage (or disadvantage) to keep an adult, even one with Lecherousness, from pursuing children sexually?
Good question. I never thought about this before, would it be a modifier to make the disadvantage worse than it is (*arouses children too*) with a higher negative point value, or easier to come by (*doesnīt bother with children*) with a lower one?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
She has six quirks, which goes past any recommended limits. Also, I'm not sure how valid "likes [skill]" is for a quirk. "Likes Magic" would probably be enough to include fortune telling, magicing, sleight of hand, and hypnotizing.
Yes, the Attentive one was bioengineered though, since it was a prerequisite to enhance her learning capacities (itīs purely functional)... With the other quirks I tried to represent things such as "she prefers to engage social interactions by using fortune telling", "she enjoys magic shows and admires magicians", "she has an habit to give off street magic performances" and "she regularly tries to induce suggestions in just about everybody who meets her".
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Secret (Kleptomania) and Secret (Trickster) should be combined, and named for the actual crimes committed, not the disadvantages. You wish to also raise the frequency of appearance since you're combining them.
Actually the Secrets should just be dropped. Both Kleptomania and Trickster come prepackaged with the implicit assumption that your activities are dangerous to yourself.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote